Does a 23 year old Sta-Rite System 3 need replacing?

Try to keep it @30 ppm CYA. Don't add it all at once. Do half and wait a day then check to see what it yielded and then figure out how much more is need to get to the magic #30. You don't know the capacity so go slow otherwise it'll take more FC for the same outcome.

Reactions: HermanTX
Alright, 8 lbs of CYA sourced and added, if it's 25-30K gallons that will get me somewhere between 30 and 40.

The filter cartridges and IC40 were ordered from Polytec on Wednesday, not sure how quick they turn orders out but hopefully have them in a few days.
Polytec is pretty good at delivered based on my experience if they had it in stock.
Check your CYA after 24-36 hours to see where it settled out.
Closer to 30 is better than at 40 for a SLAM.

Of course I did overshoot and got the CYA over 40 leading to a higher demand for chlorine, but still progressing well. Bottom of the shallow end is visible now.
IMG_6822.jpeg

One thing I can’t quite make sense of, the pressure gauge atop the filter was frozen in time so I replaced with this Meanlin fluid filled one. The gauge does respond but 10psi seems lower than I’d expect for a single speed pump, plus after 24 hours when the filter is full of dead algae it appears to be the same pressure. This could also be related to the cracked filter cartridges though and thus water flow is not 100% passing through the filter element alone. Hopefully have the new cartridges in the next couple of days.

I will say the pump housing is very hot with it running 24x7, which I thought may be related to high pressure due to the old cartridges but 10psi wouldn’t explain that. Maybe the housing getting hot is normal for a single speed pump, no direct experience with one until now.
IMG_6820.jpeg

Of course I did overshoot and got the CYA over 40 leading to a higher demand for chlorine, but still progressing well. Bottom of the shallow end is visible now.
Good progress.
The gauge does respond but 10psi seems lower than I’d expect for a single speed pump, plus after 24 hours when the filter is full of dead algae it appears to be the same pressure. This could also be related to the cracked filter cartridges though and thus water flow is not 100% passing through the filter element alone. Hopefully have the new cartridges in the next couple of days.
Well you do not have a base line so just monitor it and when you get the new filters that will be yet another new baseline.

Today’s (er, yesterday’s) update, drains visible in the deep end. New salt cell installed and producing. Looked at the bottom of the prior salt cell at the build date and it was actually only 3 years old, so that’s a bummer. It was set to 100% output and on a timer of about 12 hours per day so I guess it’s within the realm of possibility that it got “used up” in 3 years.

New filter cartridges also came today but I’m waiting at least one more day to install them. Despite the water looking better and better, every 24 hours there is still “slimy” deposits on the filter element and I’d like to spare the new ones as long as possible.

IMG_6870.jpeg

Reactions: HermanTX
Today’s (er, yesterday’s) update, drains visible in the deep end. New salt cell installed and producing. Looked at the bottom of the prior salt cell at the build date and it was actually only 3 years old, so that’s a bummer. It was set to 100% output and on a timer of about 12 hours per day so I guess it’s within the realm of possibility that it got “used up” in 3 years.

New filter cartridges also came today but I’m waiting at least one more day to install them. Despite the water looking better and better, every 24 hours there is still “slimy” deposits on the filter element and I’d like to spare the new ones as long as possible.

View attachment 520622
Good progress. Remember that SWCG does not “need” to be on while in SLAM mode. You are adding LC per SLAM so the SWCG is just supplemental to that. When you do your Overnight Chlorine Loss Test test be sure to turn OFF the SWCG as you only want to monitor the change in FC without any affect of the sun.

Reactions: Auburn02
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.