Does 30k pool need 2 pumps?

bk,

So the real question is "why" do you believe that you have poor circulation. Poor circulation gets the blame 100% of the time, and is only the cause 5% of the time.. I did just pull those numbers out of the ... air, but circulation is hardly ever the main cause of poor water quality.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have a single 1HP pump and a single return. My circulation is "fine". My pump and plumbing is a re-do of an old pool and they cut the deck to do so. Not the best, or prettiest, but it works. Personally I think a bigger pump and additional return(s) would be better, but I'm doing fine. The pool is over 40 feet by over 20 feet. Once the wind stops and the leaves stop blowing in, the skimmer will clear the surface of the water in about an hour or so. Here is a crude diagram of the placement.

Pool.jpg

When was the pool built? If its new what did your builder have to say or did you ask? I would think not but since I’m not an expert on this question I found a good article that may assist you. Cheers...

Pool Pump Sizing - Pool PlazaPool Plaza › pool-pump-sizing

How to Size a Pool Pump for Your In-Ground Pool - INYOPools.comINYO Pools › How To Guides

No, the pool is super old... maybe 30 years. I think they've been just patching and patching for years. I need to do a gut rehab. =(

- - - Updated - - -

bk,

So the real question is "why" do you believe that you have poor circulation. Poor circulation gets the blame 100% of the time, and is only the cause 5% of the time.. I did just pull those numbers out of the ... air, but circulation is hardly ever the main cause of poor water quality.

Thanks,

Jim R.

One of the main indicator for me is that there are 3 returns back to the pool and only 1 is fairly strong.. other 2 are weak flow at best. I'm not sure why that is the case... and because of this, when I turn on the heater, it takes forever to heat it.

when I turn on the heater, it takes forever to heat it.

You should not expect more then 1 degree per hour or two temp rise from the heater depending on the outside air temperature.

If you want to heat the pool faster then you need more heater output.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
bk,

I'm not sure how having two weak returns is a pump issue... :confused:

Do all three returns have the same size eyeballs? I assume there is only one pipe leaving the pad and going back to the pool.. ??

Is the strong return close to the equipment pad, while the weak ones farther away??

It is going to take a while for you to heat a 35K pool..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.