Do you have a light by your pool equipment?

Oct 14, 2016
Virginia Beach
The previous owner installed a motion light that's on a switch in a random location in the house by the front door. We hardly ever use it so I was thinking about removing it all together, but maybe I'll just move the switch to a weather proof box by the equipment pad in the event I ever do need to use it at night. Just curious if anyone has ever done something similar as it's not common in all the pools I've seen in our area.

I installed these along the fence by my pool equipment. They are solar so do not need power, and also kick on with motion. That is helpful if I need to walk back there to do something, and also may scare away bad guys wanting to steal equipment.

Edit - Wow, that URL is a mouthful.
Edit2 - Shortened the link, thanks Rocket Man Squirrel!

Last edited:
I installed these along the fence by my pool equipment. They are solar so do not need power, and also kick on with motion. That is helpful if I need to walk back there to do something, and also may scare away bad guys wanting to steal equipment.

Edit - Wow, that URL is a mouthful.
Edit2 - Shortened the link, thanks Rocket Man Squirrel!

Man, I feel dense. I hadn't even considered solar, I was so pre-occupied with the badly placed light switch. Something like that is perfect, and no wires to worry about relocating. Thanks.

Reactions: kimkats
I put in a powerful led flood panel with a lighted switch so I could find it in the dark outside at my pad but have never really used it. I tested it last season and it didn't turn on. When I flipped it a bunch of times I got it to flicker so I guess it's the switch.

I really like having a motion light where my equipment is - I can’t believe I fiddled with a flashlight for so many years before getting one.
If it’s a motion light you should just be able to leave the switch on all the time & let the sensor on the light do it’s job.
If the switch placement bothers you, you could always just replace it with a low profile decora one & a screwless plate that is the same color as the wall so it’s not so obvious.
I don’t think I would remove a hard wired light & replace it with a solar one. Even if you did you would still have boxes with blank plates in both locations.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The ideal pool equipment pad light is one that is not wired to the pool's circuit breakers. So either use some sort of solar light, or battery light, or hardwire it to a circuit that has nothing to do with the pool equipment.

Many times, when things go haywire at the pad, or you're just doing maintenance or repairs, you'll want to kill all power to the pad. And that might even mean the big breaker in the main circuit breaker panel that feeds the sub-panel at your pad. If your pad light is wired to any of those circuits, it won't be of much help when you really need it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.