Do SWG pools need Algecide at start up?

NewFGOwner

Jul 14, 2019
Pennsylvania
Hi All,

I have this question as it’s my first summer managing chemicals myself. The pool store who’s service I used to use suggest using a large dose of algecide as preventative and then doing weekly dose for maintenance. Is this required or just extra chemicals in pool that you don’t need?

Thanks!
Israela

Yikes! Don't listen to those guys.. listen to these guys. SWG pools don't need any algecides to get going. Just Salt, some CYA and I like to add a kicker of liquid chlorine to get things up to the minimum levels, Then I let the SWG do the rest. If you read through the Pool Care Basics stuff you'll see there is no suggestion for using an algecide. In fact some metal based algecides can really mess things up.

Hi Israela,
You need to treat the water immediately upon filling it, so that algae doesnt take it over.
Chlorine kills and prevents and algae just fine. If you will keep your CYA and FC at the recommended levels, you will never need algaecide. This means checking the FC daily, and adding chlorine.

The pool service people use algaecide, because they cannot check the pool often enough to maintain it like we do.

And as a FYI, most algaecides contain copper and copper can leave some ugly stains in your pool.

Reactions: BowserB
Thanks Dave! When you say treat it immediately after filling it, do you just mean with chlorine as part of start up? When our pool service opens the pool they do an initial shock to start up. Makes sense how pool company would do that. I actually stopped using service for that reason as I found I was monitoring daily anyway. Just want to make sure I’m not missing any steps!

No Dave was speaking about newly plastered pools using some algaecide as the water is filling and the chemicals haven't all been added yet.

If you want to test the spots/stain you say you have, take some crushed vitamin c tablets and put them in a thin sock or hosiery leg and rub the spot. If it changes it, its metals (copper often). Then if that doesn't work take a chlorine puck and rub another spot a while and check. If that changes it the stain is organic.

Let us know how it goes.

Maddie :flower:

No Dave was speaking about newly plastered pools using some algaecide as the water is filling and the chemicals haven't all been added yet.

If you want to test the spots/stain you say you have, take some crushed vitamin c tablets and put them in a thin sock or hosiery leg and rub the spot. If it changes it, its metals (copper often). Then if that doesn't work take a chlorine puck and rub another spot a while and check. If that changes it the stain is organic.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks Maddie! For the vitamin test what type of tablets do you use? I saw online there are test kits for this test too. For the chlorine puck is there any possibility it could stain my fiberglass since it’s a dark blue gel coat? Thanks again!

Vitamin C...cheap chewable type.

For the chlorine puck-You're just holding the puck against the stain for a short while... less than five minutes. It shouldn't stain a fiberglass pool? Never heard of it doing so....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.