Do I really need to add chlorine daily?

dcjbhm

Dec 12, 2018
Pensacola
Hi folks!

I just finished reading the "Pool School" book. Learned a lot. But I need some help with a concept that I am really struggling with...that is the thought of having to add chlorine/liquid bleach to my water daily. I came to TFP for help because I had a massive algae problem last summer, and now with a new liner and a fresh puddle of water, I am grateful to "begin again", but I am not excited about having to mess with water chemistry on a daily basis. I like the idea of only having to be able to mess with pool chemicals twice per week. In the summer I would skim the pool daily just before we would jump in, ran my pump 8 hours a day and shocked it once per week (with some pucks floating in it the rest of the time). But I could not beat the algae.

Did I misunderstand what I read? Is daily bleach really going to be my life from here on out? Can anyone offer some perspective?

Thanks!

Reactions: jdlangley1
i think a lot of us came to this site for the same reasons you have. we listened to pool stores, bought a bunch of chemicals and had our pools turn green.
so the method here is monitor our pool with a great test kit everyday until we get a feel for what is needed. yes, i add bleach everyday. do i test everyday, no, but i do every couple of days, at least the chlorine.
many here use salt water generators, SWG. once dailed in, it is quite automatic... that’s probably where your headed.

that is correct add liquid chlorine every day, just like your pets, you feed them everyday, brush your teeth twice per day or big problems happen
a salt water chlorinator or stenner pump will help if you are time poor
once you get to know your pool you will find a pattern and not need to test every day, just add same amount of bleach as yesterday
so just prepare two doses at once

@dcjbhm , welcome and great getting informed!
Being in FL, depending on the swimmer and sun exposure, you'll find your FC (chlorine) 'sweet spot'
The reason algae pops up with tablet use is more CYA (chlorine stabilizer) gets into the water than the chlorine added/used (CYA doesn't go away w/o draining)

It may not need liquid chlorine added every day (our pool does not, full sun, but we cover it and have a light swimmer load). It's worth it to not have to fight green/drain/fight green! :) (rinse & repeat) ;)
pool-8-20-17.JPG

Last edited:
...many here use salt water generators, SWG. once dailed in, it is quite automatic... that’s probably where your headed.

:goodpost: Yep. I think you're the perfect candidate for a SWG. Cost will be about the same as liquid chlorine in the long run...you just pay for it upfront.

Reactions: dcjbhm
Once you get to know your pool you will learn what your daily FC loss is. You can chlorinate up to shock level and swim safely. So you can try going high on your FC and see how many days before it gets below your FC target. That may let you test and add CL every 2 - 3 days. Just understand that as the days get longer and your pool gets more sun the FC daily loss will increase.

Or get a SWG and be done dumping jugs.

Hi folks! ... grateful to "begin again", but I am not excited about having to mess with water chemistry on a daily basis. I like the idea of only having to be able to mess with pool chemicals twice per week. In the summer I would skim the pool daily just before we would jump in, ran my pump 8 hours a day and shocked it once per week (with some pucks floating in it the rest of the time). But I could not beat the algae.
How often do you swim? The biggest thing will be not letting the FC get less than 2 (depending on CYA level) and not letting the CYA get over 50/60 (see FC/CYA chart in my sig) You can also use PoolMath to find recommended levels for each for a vinyl pool :)
Now that our pool is "established", I only test once a week or before we swim or after a change (weather/etc) to be sure things are still as they should be. And we have a tiny pool, which is more susceptible to fluctuation than a large pool would be.
Did I misunderstand what I read? Is daily bleach really going to be my life from here on out? Can anyone offer some perspective?
If you keep records of testing, results, treatments and activity, you'll quickly learn your pool's "personality" (not a thing, lol) or really, the chemical needs and not have to test/add daily once it's balanced.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've read that a SWG requires some parts to be replaced every few years?

D,

Basically it is like buying all the chlorine your pool will use up front.. Think of it like the gas tank in your car.. You can only drive so far before the tank runs dry..

A cell usually lasts 5 to 8 years.. If you have a large cell and a small pool it will last longer. If you have a large pool and a small cell it won't last near as long. We always recommend that you buy a cell that is at least 2 x the volume of your pool..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi folks!

I just finished reading the "Pool School" book. Learned a lot. But I need some help with a concept that I am really struggling with...that is the thought of having to add chlorine/liquid bleach to my water daily. I came to TFP for help because I had a massive algae problem last summer, and now with a new liner and a fresh puddle of water, I am grateful to "begin again", but I am not excited about having to mess with water chemistry on a daily basis. I like the idea of only having to be able to mess with pool chemicals twice per week. In the summer I would skim the pool daily just before we would jump in, ran my pump 8 hours a day and shocked it once per week (with some pucks floating in it the rest of the time). But I could not beat the algae.

Thanks!
No one seemed to mention a test kit. Get yourself the TF-100 test kit. It'll be your best friend

I am close to making the decision to buy a SWCG.

This will be my first summer with the pool and based on my pools demand for chlorine, it may be my last as a jug dumper.

When we were in planning mode, our pool builder (now out of business) advised against SWCG. We didn’t know anything other than what he told us, they damage equipment and corrode natural stone is what he claimed.

Since being part of this site, I now see those concerns are not entirely accurate. As long as we properly maintain chemical levels and don’t treat a SWCG as a set and forget system, we should be fine.

I sure know my spouse would love to see less of me jug dumping!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.