Do I need to shock?

Aug 28, 2016
Baltimore Md
My pump was down for 3 days , 2 of which we had a ton of people swimming and water got cloudy. Once pump was fixed 2 days ago I can’t get FC level past .5 even if I throw in 5-6 120 oz jugs. The water is almost clear now but still can’t get FC level up, do I shock? Also noticed water got green when bleach goes in but slowly fades to clear

42000 gallon saltwater
ph 7.2
ta 110
ch 225
cya 50
fc .5
cc .5

What was the FC level over the 3 days of no pump? Chlorine is your pool water sanitizer, not the pump and filter.

We never advise to ‘shock’ the pool. That is nothing more than a waste of chlorine.

Instead, we follow the SLAM Process procedure to eliminate bacteria and algae.

Which test kit are you using?

do I shock?
Nope .... you SLAM Process! Do so until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria noted on that page.
This comment is a completely different issue:
Also noticed water got green when bleach goes in but slowly fades to clear
It points towards either iron or copper in the water. Are you on a well? Or have you added some pool store products recently, perhaps this past winter like algaecides or other chlorinating products other than regular bleach?

Tf-100 year kit
no well water and have never had it turn green before this year.
only stuff I have added this year is
calcium harder
jacks magic purple
jacks magic algae preventer
cya
imbgoing to get bleach now, I’m shooting for FC of 24 right? And I need to maintain that level until the water is clear, and I stop burning through chlorine right

- - - Updated - - -

Also I’m not sure what the pool guy added when he closed pool but I can say with confidence that before pump went down water was crystal clear and FC was a consistent 2-3

A CYA of 50 = a SLAM FC level of "20". Yes, maintain that FC and do the other items on the SLAM page until you pass those 3 criteria. Good luck!

Also I’m not sure what the pool guy added when he closed pool
That always worries me. Antifreeze is common, but some will add copper-based algaecides that can have an effect later. Regardless, a proper SLAM is the first item on the agenda to ensure the pool is algae free. Then you can continue any sequestrants you used previously.

Preventive maintenance per the diamond Brite people , thanks for the quick responses everyone, I’m a little confused with all the different types and strength of bleach so I’m going to Walmart to but a pallet or so�� and I’ll post back here soon

Add the required amount per the PoolMath, then check again in about 30 minutes to see how the FC looks. As it drops, bump it back up to your SLAM level. At some point the dropping should slow down and you can space-out the frequency of testing and additions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.