Do I need to reduce the max speed on my pump?

Dec 1, 2022
Hamilton/New Zealand
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Astral Viron V25
Hi guys

Equipment is in my profile. I read that you need to be careful with the flow rates when you have a variable speed pump and are using a sand filter. But I don’t know how much of a concern this really is and whether it justifies installing a flow meter. Most of the time I have my pump set on low speed and only really need it to be on high speed for vacuuming. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

You should lower the max speed to 3k RPMs for good measure. That's plenty to prime and there is no reason to ever need 3450 RPMs. Vacuuming should work great between 1700 and 2500 RPMs.

I see your profile but your signature is blank. Fill it out Here to save us a couple of clicks each time. :)

Reactions: NathanScrivener
A flow meter is not needed. You only need to observe your skimmers and your SWG, if you have one, to make sure they are working properly. GPM is not a number you need to know but rather is your equipment operating properly.
Before i put my VS motor in my old motor ran wide open for more than ten years on my sand filter. Now with the VS the motor runs as slow as possible at all times other than wide open for vacuuming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.