Do I need to Drain my Pool?

Mar 27, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
I just went to the pool store today to have my water tested. Everything looks good with my pool but I go to the store to have them check it every so often.

Everything was perfect except my Calcium Hardness is at 625 and my CYA is at 200. I live in Phoenix and my pool has usually always had higher levels than normal with this, especially for the CYA. The guy at the store said he would think about draining the pool since the Calcium is high. Although, he said I may be able to get through another Summer fine.

My question is, is high Calcium really a serious issue? I know the CYA is high too but like I said, mine has usually always been high and it seems to fluctuate every time tested. I only have a short amount of time to drain it if I need to because it’s going to start heating up in a few weeks.

My main concern is that I don’t want the pool to turn into a swamp in the Summer and have to wait to acid wash it because of the heat.

My pool is about 30k gallons, probably an overestimate. I have a cartridge filter and use chlorine tablets. The pool was completely drained in fall of 2014 and drained about 3/4 in February of 2017.

Long winded question short, any opinions on if this can wait until 2020 or do I need to rent a pump soon?

Thanks!
Shannon

Welcome to the forum!
This forum advocates pool owner testing of their water chemistry. We generally will not provide specific guidance based on pool store tests. IF your CYA is 200 (or higher), you are best to drain a significant portion of your pool water. The CH is not as much of a concern if you properly manage your pool water chemistry using TFPC guidance.

I suggest you consider getting your own test kit. I use the TF100 form TFTestkits.net. I also have the SpeedStir, it makes testing much easier.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

I will also add in the fact your CYA could be higher than 200. I do have to wonder how they got the reading of 200 as most tests only go to 100.

You say your CYA is always high. What do you use to add chlorine to the pool? My guess is pucks/tablets. Every time you add a new puck you are adding more CYA :(

There are two ways to avoid this:
-liquid chlorine-this can be found at some pool stores. It is sold in 2.5 jugs your put a deposit on. Bring in the empty jug, walk out with a full jug. Some people use bleach like sold in Walmart and Target. It is the same stuff as chlorine only with a lower % of active ingredient. BUT you have to watch out for added stuff now.............the pretty smells, "cloremax", cleaning boosters, etc can cause foaming.

-SWG (salt water generator) as seen here: Trouble Free Pool

I look forward to helping you learn to take care of your pool on your own so you do not have to face these kinds of problems any more.

Kim:kim:

Like the others said you need reliable test results and pool stores are notorious for giving wild results. The CYA test is the one test that is the most unreliable from them.

If those numbers are accurate you will need to drain the water and I would drain all of it if this were my pool. Start fresh with the right calcium level and learn to keep the CYA lower by following our methods that the others have linked you to.

Hi Shannon,

I can tell you that high CYA is a very common problem with pools here in the valley. That’s why most owners have to drain and refill every 2-3 years.

If you have a pool service or are doing it yourself, I highly suggest you follow Marty’s advice, and get a proper test kit, and read the links he posted.
With a CYA higher then 100+, you will be playing Russian roulette all summer trying to keep your pool from turning green. At this point a full drain and refill would be the way to go.

Once you have your test kit and can give results, you can then post up questions on the forum, and people will gladly walk you through learning to take care of your own pool.

I can attest to the fact that TFP methods not only work, but will save you money, time, and your sanity for years to come.

~Rob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.