Do I need it? What’s should I expect to pay?

Everett_88

Gold Supporter
Sep 12, 2023
Wichita
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Mid-build on a 16x30 VL pool.

Intelliflo3 VSF 3hp
IC40
Ultratemp 120 H/C
TA60 sand filtwr
2 x microbrite
Auto cover
Currently planning to install a 100A subpanel at the equip pad.

First off… should I be considering an Intellicenter?

Second off… what should I expect to pay if I do?

Third off… I’m very savvy with tech / electrical / DIY work… is this something I could install later?

Jack,

Almost no one 'needs' an automation system.. It is like power windows or a key fob on your car. You don't need them, but who buys a car without them?

If you are going to have an automation system, then the pool needs to be built around how your automation works and what you want to control. It is kind of like power windows... if the car is built without them, they are almost impossible to install later.

You can install an automation system later, but you will need to make sure the pool is built so that you can control the things you want to control and that you have access to run the power and the lighting between the pool and the equipment pad. I installed a couple of EasyTouch systems on preexisting pools and I was not able to control the pool lights because of the existing decking...

Here is a good site for DIY pricing, but DIY installs only have a 60 day warranty... I never worry about warranties as most things either fail right away or they last until the warranty is over anyway..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jack,

Almost no one 'needs' an automation system.. It is like power windows or a key fob on your car. You don't need them, but who buys a car without them?

If you are going to have an automation system, then the pool needs to be built around how your automation works and what you want to control. It is kind of like power windows... if the car is built without them, they are almost impossible to install later.

You can install an automation system later, but you will need to make sure the pool is built so that you can control the things you want to control and that you have access to run the power and the lighting between the pool and the equipment pad. I installed a couple of EasyTouch systems on preexisting pools and I was not able to control the pool lights because of the existing decking...

Here is a good site for DIY pricing, but DIY installs only have a 60 day warranty... I never worry about warranties as most things either fail right away or they last until the warranty is over anyway..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks!

Which system would I need if I installed now and which would I need if I installed later?

Which system would I need if I installed now and which would I need if I installed later?

With all your Pentair equipment the only practical option is the IntelliCenter.

If you install the IntelliCenter during your build you can use the IntelliCenter with the Load Center as your electrical subpanel and simplify your wiring.

If you install it after then you need to reroute your light wiring through the IntelliCenter relays. Your IntelliFlo pump and UltraTemp pump will get RS-485 low voltage connections to the IntelliCenter.

Pentair has a Pool Cover Card P/N 522039Z that installs in the expansion slot of the IntelliCenter and tells the IntelliCenter if the cover is open or closed. For more read Pentair Automation Systems - Further Reading

I am assuming you do not have a spa.

You can install the IntelliCenter if you are comfortable doing high voltage and low voltage wiring. You can read my thread for installing my IntelliCenter...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimrahbe
What about Intelliconnect? I just stumbled across it in the Wiki.

I really just want the SWG, pump and heater to “talk” and “work together”. Plus, call me lazy, but I want to be able to adjust the HP temp and on/off via the App.

Thoughts?

Plus, call me lazy, but I want to be able to adjust the HP temp and on/off via the App
The HP will need to run continuously more often than not. It's like your home AC but in reverse. It takes alot of energy to cool the house down but not as much to maintain it. Unless you'll be away for a spell, you leave it on.

Plus, with a HP in the extended season, you may not get the warm water back once you lose it. If the next week or two is cool, the HP may not be able to overcome the cool air and cool water.

I am a gold medal contender in lazy and I had a HP and SWG with no automation. I needed one adjustment every 2 to 6 weeks (with no spa).

Get it because you want a toy, but don't blame it on lazy. Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Everett_88
What about Intelliconnect? I just stumbled across it in the Wiki.

I really just want the SWG, pump and heater to “talk” and “work together”. Plus, call me lazy, but I want to be able to adjust the HP temp and on/off via the App.

Thoughts?
The IntelliConnect should sort of work for you. You will be maxed out with it on day 1.

The IntelliConnect is dependent on the app and Pentair servers with no means of local control. I would not be comfortable with that for my pool.

Reactions: Everett_88