Do I have Algae?

Update from this morning... still a bit of brown dust asking just one seam in shallow end and some when I brushed the pool again but very light.
Water is sparkling clear. FC treated at 15.5 which makes no sense unless I miscounted since prior reading was 14.5. I haven’t added any chlorine since first adding it once to start SLAM because it had stayed steady. CC was again zero.
That’s good you are making progress! I feel so defeated...also have had a couple incidents where my FC went up as well, making me wonder if I did the test wrong...

Given the steady FC results (albeit possible minor testing errors), the 0 CC, and the really clear water, am I almost there? It seems like I must be close not having added any chlorine since starting the SLAM. The only thing now seems to be the hopefully, decreasing, amount of brown deposits on the pool floor. Most of that seems to be in the shallow end - is that probably because the drains help move the water in the deep end?

Finally done! Tests are good and there is absolutely no brown "dust" on the pool floor when I brush it. I have to say, I really think that this is the first time that has ever been the case. I think I always attributed the low level of brown dust to just being pollen, or dirt in the air, ending up in the pool. My guess is when I would run the SWCG during the regular pool season, it kept the algae low enough to not notice a problem and I never really was that concerned about a small amount of brown dust when I would vacuum or sweep the pool. Lesson learned! SLAM it! LOL

I believe that when the situation is like what the OP had being that the only tell tale signs were the brown substance on the floor I would have vacuumed the pool to rid the pool from it once and for all. By brushing you're only displacing it and not eliminating it. Had he vacuumed it from the get go it would have been a short lived problem.

I believe that when the situation is like what the OP had being that the only tell tale signs were the brown substance on the floor I would have vacuumed the pool to rid the pool from it once and for all. By brushing you're only displacing it and not eliminating it. Had he vacuumed it from the get go it would have been a short lived problem.
Yeah, I had vacuumed mine religiously but it always returns...

I believe that when you vacuum and the substance returns, it is most always because additional algae has died and sunk to the pool floor.

I also believe that both vacuuming and brushing are necessary (and it tells us so in the SLAM article) both of these functions have a purpose.....

vacuuming gets some of the deris but not all as the vacuum head stirs up almost as much as it picks up. Brushing is quite important because you need to get the debris off the pool floor and let the filter remove it.

Of course the overall answer is to SLAM the pool. That's how you get a pool crystal clear and bebris free.

Reactions: wireform
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.