Do filter cleaner solutions work on cartridges

tagteamcomputing

Gold Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
Tulsa, OK
I bought some filter cleaner for my cartridge but it is a big cartridge and the filter cleaner instructions say to leave it submerged over night.

Because the cartridge is so big the only way I could do that is to empty my little fountain area and fill it up with clean water and put that solution in. But the I would have to use a shop vac to suck out the water, or I would have to allow the water to drain into the pool.

SO, is that filter cleaner bad to be in the pool
Does the filter cleaner really help because it is going to be a lot more work.

Thanks

You may see mixed reactions on the cleaning. Depends on the size/amount of cartridges that require cleaning. First, make sure you are using trisodium phosphate (TSP) to clean the filters from any oils and stuff first. Can it work & help? ...... sure. After 2-3 years of use however, some may just replace them altogether if the pleats are getting tattered or the bands snapping off. That's what I do personally, but I only have a single cart. Just not worth the time and mess for me. But for those who have a 4-cart filter, the time and effort to clean could save $150-$200. In your 20K pool, if a little TSP got in there I would expect the chlorine to take care of it. But I would try to clean out that fountain area as best as I could. FYI - some people use their bathtub (and rotate) or a large trash can.

Here is an outstanding discussion on cartridge cleaning: Re: How to clean a cartridge filter

I soak my cartridges in a solution of TSP every year to remove oils, lotions, etc. I use a trash can to do it. You do not show what filter you have in your signature (can you modify your signature to show equipment?).

They had me at loves pollen. I live in Oklahoma and we just had pollen so bad that it left a yellow/green film over everything. Cars, bushes, BBQ, Yard, it was all just covered with it.
I think I will give those a try. I am not sure if the filter flosser will work any better than my copper hose head but it seems like it work faster by cleaning a much larger area. I am just not sure if it will dilute strength of the spray too much.

mknauss, I updated my profile with my equipment. My inner cartridge will fit in the trash can but my outer on will not. Maybe I will just use the filter cleaner on the inner. I also measured my fountain area and it is only 15 inches deep so that will only cover just over half of the outer cartridge.

If i did decide to do it in my fountain area should i suck out water or is it ok to filter that water back into the pool?

Can you soak one half of the big cartridge then turn it over and do the other half?

I would not use any water body that is tied to your pool. But if you do, you do need to isolate it from the pool and also drain it as completely as possible when you are done.

Ok, I can do that. What about the bands that go around the filter. Mine have worn out and slide down. Can I just get some velcro tape and secure it on with some hot glue or should i just not worry about that?

I am trying to get a couple more years out of this filter. I think i might convert to salt and don't want to buy and expensive filter to just replace the system in a year or two.

I honestly do not see what the bands really do.

So as long as the filter media is not compromised and the end caps are not deteriorated, the filter is good.

You will not need to change out this filter type if you add a SWCG.

Oh, really. I guess I just thought you had to use sand or something with SWCG. So with SWCG all I really need to do is add the SWCG itself, and maybe something to protect the heater from the salt, like zinc anode.

Sorry, also, when you say the media filter is not compromised do you mean that there are no tears or anything in it?
And the end caps? What is that. Sorry for so many questions, this is all new to me.

Thanks again for all the help. I hate going in blind on things.

Just the SWCG. Anodes are a waste. Salinity level is no issue to other pool components. pH is the enemy of heaters, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You could add a SWCG next weekend. Do you have an automation system for your VS pump and spa?

I live in Oklahoma and we just had pollen so bad that it left a yellow/green film over everything.
The scumbugs are not great for pollen, more for oil capture. For fine stuff, use Disposable hairnets on your skimmer basket. It will keep a ton of stuff out of your cartridge.

I am not sure if the filter flosser will work any better than my copper hose head but it seems like it work faster by cleaning a much larger area. I am just not sure if it will dilute strength of the spray too much.

What’s nice about the filter flosser is, when you are cleaning the filter, it does cover a larger area to loosen up debris. When you run into heavier areas, you simply pull the flosser away from the filter about 3” and it forums a single stream.

thanks mknauss, that is some very valuable and money saving info. When you say ph is the enemy, does that mean if ph is too high it is bad for the equipment or is it bad if it is too low.

I do not have an automation system for my pool. I have a slightly weird setup. I have the VS 900 for the pool / spa. I have a separate starite 1 hp for the spa. When i want to run the spa as a hot tub I have to turn off the pool pump and turn on the spa pump. I have a ball valve that diverts the water from the spa line to just in front of the pool line so that the water can go through the filter. (when I bought the house it was set up so that you could not heat the spa, only the whole pool. I am not sure if this was a builder mess up or the people didnt want a hot tub. So I had to pay a plumber to add a couple lines that would diver the water the way I wanted ti to go .

As you can see from this picture (my setup) New photo by Tate Goodman I am not sure where I am going to be able to fit a SWCG. I took this photo on pano mode so the lines are a bit wonky but it is a good overall view of my system.

Arizonarob, thanks, that is good to know. It does seem like the flosser is a no brainer. I am willing to spend a few bucks if it saves me 20 - 30minutes each time I clean the filter.

I think for the cartridge bands, their main purpose is simply to keep the pleats from totally collapsing flat. That way there is a way for water to flow through/around them and capture debris. Otherwise, if a group of pleats became flattened you might loose some filtering capability.

I think for the cartridge bands, their main purpose is simply to keep the pleats from totally collapsing flat. That way there is a way for water to flow through/around them and capture debris. Otherwise, if a group of pleats became flattened you might loose some filtering capability.
I guess. I have no bands left on my cartridge filters. And when I pull them each year to clean them, they look the same. I would suspect it is a problem with high flow rates from single speed pumps and small cartridge filters.

On the pH, as long as it is in the 7's, you are good. Low pH is bad for everything, high pH leads to scaling.

Yes, I know right. Imagine my surprise when I had texted the realtor asking if there were any known issues with the pool or hot tub and if everything worked fine. Then later find out NOT A HOT TUB. I was thinking they could have mentioned that one problem with the hot tub was that it was not a hot tub. (Along with the leak to the pool that I had to pay $1,800 to get fixed)

Below is an updated link to my equipment with everything labeled.

mknauss, you may be on to something. That pipe actually leads back to the hot tub but there are two spillovers from the hot tub to the pool that are usually running all the time. see this pic New photo by Tate Goodman

Would it be correct to deduce I could put the SWCG right there as long as I run the pool pump enough to circulate that water out of the hot tub and into the pool?

Side note, even with the issues I don't want to sound like I am complaining. I am very happy with my pool. See pic New photo by Tate Goodman

Well. We typically do not recommend running spa spillovers all the time due to pH rise. But with your plumbing, you would need to do a full cut out and replumb and add automation to get there. So doubt that is happening. Is there a spa suction in that picture you posted?

Only issue I see is if you are using the spa in spa mode (water out of and into spa only) then the SWCG needs to NOT be running, or you can over chlorinate the spa water. If you can achieve that in that maze, that is a good place for the SWCG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.