Cleaner and pool filter operation

Stardell

May 20, 2023
Clovis, CA
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
I have been running the “Pool” and “Cleaner” functions daily (12 hours) for 5 years. Initial setup by builder.
I recently changed the operating times for these functions so that the “Pool” would run during the day (6am to 6 pm) and the “Cleaner” would operate during the early morning hours ( 4am to 10am). I just noticed that when the pool function is operating so is the cleaner. This was after the cross over hours of 6am to 10am.
Question 1- Are the pool and cleaner function supposed to be independent?
Question 2 - How can I set them up as separate functions?
I want to run the pool process during the day because of the high heat in the California Central Valley and the cleaner during the hours the family are not normally in the pool.
Pentair salt system filter with Rebel 2 cleaner.
Thnx

We're going to need some pics to help. A few pics of the equipment pad so we can see all the plumbing and valves. If you use automation, a pic or two of that as well please.

Attachments

• IMG_5396.jpeg
    IMG_5396.jpeg
    536.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5395.jpeg
    IMG_5395.jpeg
    777.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5394.jpeg
    IMG_5394.jpeg
    530.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5393.jpeg
    IMG_5393.jpeg
    553.8 KB · Views: 3
Star,

It appears to me you have a suction side cleaner.. If so, the cleaner can not work unless the pool pump is working..

Maybe I just don't fully understand your question. :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Star,

It appears to me you have a suction side cleaner.. If so, the cleaner can not work unless the pool pump is working..

Maybe I just don't fully understand your question. :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim,
As you can see from the ScreenLogic photo, the Pool and Cleaner are on different schedules.
Maybe I don’t understand the difference between them. Or maybe they are in fact the same. What is Pool vs Cleaner. I thought the “Cleaner” was the pool sweep (Rebel 2) and the “Pool” was drains.
I don’t want the seep working while the Pool is running.

Star,

Does your cleaner look like this..

pentair_rebel_2_cleaner.jpg

If it does it has no motor of its own. I runs off of the suction that is created by your Main Pool pump (Your IntelliFlo pump)

In your current set up, you can't schedule this cleaner, as it will run anytime the Main Pool pump is running.

It appears your cleaner plugs into a port in the side wall of your pool. This port is controlled by a Jandy valve marked 'cleaner'. This valve is not automated. As it is now, it is manual valve, so to shut it off you will have to manually open or close it. You could add an actuator to the valve and then your automation could turn the valve on or off.

The system knows the cleaner needs the main pump to run, so when the cleaner is scheduled to run, it will also run the main pool pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Star,

Does your cleaner look like this..

pentair_rebel_2_cleaner.jpg

If it does it has no motor of its own. I runs off of the suction that is created by your Main Pool pump (Your IntelliFlo pump)

In your current set up, you can't schedule this cleaner, as it will run anytime the Main Pool pump is running.

It appears your cleaner plugs into a port in the side wall of your pool. This port is controlled by a Jandy valve marked 'cleaner'. This valve is not automated. As it is now, it is manual valve, so to shut it off you will have to manually open or close it. You could add an actuator to the valve and then your automation could turn the valve on or off.

The system knows the cleaner needs the main pump to run, so when the cleaner is scheduled to run, it will also run the main pool pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Makes sense. It is now 10:03am. The schedule for the cleaner just ended, but I see the cleaner is still running as the pool schedule is running.
It appears that the “Cleaner” schedule I have is redundant as the cleaner is going to run anyway.IMG_5400.png

Makes sense. It is now 10:03am. The schedule for the cleaner just ended, but I see the cleaner is still running as the pool schedule is running.
It appears that the “Cleaner” schedule I have is redundant as the cleaner is going to run anyway.View attachment 494861
Actually, my original goal was to run the water feature without the cleaner running.

Star,

Unfortunately, the time to figure out how you want the pool to work, is before the hole is actually dug. :(

In your case, all is not lost. You can just add an actuator to the cleaner valve. This would allow you to turn the cleaner on or off. For the cleaner to run, the main pool pump must be running, but if you add an actuator to the Cleaner Intake valve, you can at least shut it off when you want. So you could run the pool without the cleaner being on and you could run your water feature without the cleaner on.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Star,

Unfortunately, the time to figure out how you want the pool to work, is before the hole is actually dug. :(

In your case, all is not lost. You can just add an actuator to the cleaner valve. This would allow you to turn the cleaner on or off. For the cleaner to run, the main pool pump must be running, but if you add an actuator to the Cleaner Intake valve, you can at least shut it off when you want. So you could run the pool without the cleaner being on and you could run your water feature without the cleaner on.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Understood. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.