do circulation pumps have any kind of overpressure safeties?

Nov 9, 2014
concord,ca
Today was rather exciting.
I turned on the pump. as it was priming I saw a small leak at my filter.( an obsolete Hayward de-4800)
The leak was at the joint between the upper and lower sections. Before I could stop the pump the top of the filter blew off and it
broke apart the fittings on both the inlet and outlet lines.
I suspect the check valve at the outlet line off the filter failed and became blocked?
With this happening would the pump create enough pressure in the line to cause this damage?
Do pumps have any kind or overpressure safeties built in or should there be some type of blowoff valve after the pump?
As it stands I'm between a rock and a hard place as no one sells parts for this outdated filter.
If I have to replace the entire filter any recommendations?
Thanks
Barry

Fwiw my Intelliflo VSF has over pressure detection and will switch itself off if system pressure rises above a configurable level. I assume this is a feature only available on the VF or VSF pumps and is using the flow rate pressure sensor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.