Do any robots with decent control actually pick up dirt?

mgarf33

Oct 27, 2013
I've had my TigerShark QC for about 8 years. It's been rebuilt several times, filters replaced and it still works. It can pick up fine particulates but just plain sucks when it comes to control. It gets stuck on walls, or just sits in a corner forever. So, a year or two ago I bought the Zodiac/ Polaris 9550i. I thought Polaris has a great name in the pool industry and this one has several control options including a hand held remote.

Well, after a long review period, I can say it has much better control, but the particulate capture is horrible. I don't see how people give this product a 5 star rating. It simply blows dirt around it so it looks like it's picking it up. I can watch both robots side by side going through a strip of dirt and see a cloud around the Polaris while the Tigershark has very little debris around it. It just leaves a clean surface. I clean the Polaris and it just doesn't pick up much compared to the TigerShark. I think the Polaris filter media is fine, but the design of the basket is terrible. The basket's design does not allow for particulates to rest and collect. The bottom of the basket is where debris enters the machine. So, the dirt just spins around constantly. When a little debris is captured it inhibits the vacuum snorkle from sucking properly and this causes the lid to suck in debris. I constantly find leaves stuck in the lid of this machine. where the push button lock is located.
I did recently purchase the fine sand/silt filter for the Polaris, but it doesn't do any better. Well, may be a little better, but I don't want it blown around, I want it captured into the filter. I hear the Maytronics brand is the one to beat. Which one is the best at picking up fine particles, with the benefit of good control?

Last edited:
You must have a defective one, though I have read here one other report of a similar issue with a Polaris. Mine, with stock filter, picks up the finest of particles, and everything collects to the back nearest the discharge port. I can never see anything in the basket, not even a leaf, when it's running. If still in warranty, I would be at least looking at that avenue before buying into another, as it should work as mine does.

Edit to add: Maybe different, as I see your model is not same.

All the dolphins that we talk about here are great at picking up dirt. My pool can look spotless and I throw mine in and there is still a lot of crud that I rinse out of the filters.

Now as for remotes, they are all mediocre. The latency on them makes it hard to use. I would guess that 98% of the people here do not use the remote functions of their robots.

I just throw mine in. Let it run its cycle take it out of the pool and it looks perfect. No need for manual steering.

Reactions: markayash
You must have a defective one, though I have read here one other report of a similar issue with a Polaris. Mine, with stock filter, picks up the finest of particles, and everything collects to the back nearest the discharge port. I can never see anything in the basket, not even a leaf, when it's running. If still in warranty, I would be at least looking at that avenue before buying into another, as it should work as mine does.

Edit to add: Maybe different, as I see your model is not same.
I'll have to take a video of it. I don't know why it blows fine dirt around. Maybe I'll put a silicone gasket bead around the edge of the lid and the basket snorkel. It's almost certainly out of warranty. I didn't have much time to mess with it last year. It will pick up dirt, but it blows a lot of the fine dirt around while it's working. The standard filter just blows fine dirt right through. I will say the fine filter can pick up more dirt. However, after the cleaning cycle is done the blown around dirt will settle and then the floor is dirty again. My pool starts out crystal clear with dirt on the bottom. When the Polaris is running it becomes cloudy in the deep end. The basket does collect the debris near the discharge port, but that's the problem. I would say, on a good cycle it picks up about 2 cups of fine dirt max.

All the dolphins that we talk about here are great at picking up dirt. My pool can look spotless and I throw mine in and there is still a lot of crud that I rinse out of the filters.

Now as for remotes, they are all mediocre. The latency on them makes it hard to use. I would guess that 98% of the people here do not use the remote functions of their robots.

I just throw mine in. Let it run its cycle take it out of the pool and it looks perfect. No need for manual steering.
I actually think the Polaris has pretty good control. You're right about the latency of the remote, but with a little practice it is usable. I love the fact that I can program it NOT to climb walls and as soon as it starts to climb it will immediately change direction. Whereas the TigerShark QC just runs against the wall forever in one spot.
My issue is particulate capture. I don't see how it could be a defective robot as it doesn't have any broken or misaligned parts that I can see. Maybe I'm just expecting too much out of these things. I don't know, but I'm expecting a vacuum, that sucks up dirt. Maybe I just bought an early model that doesn't have a lid gasket or something? I can see that there is a strong discharge on the Polaris, so the impeller is definitely working.

Have you tried the fine filter with the Polaris? I have both and the fine filter picks up a lot of stuff the regular one misses.

I cannot complain about the cleaning power of my dolphin. The pool looks spotless when its done.
I agree, I debated the warrior SL over me SE for the remote but seems that would be like adding controls to your dishwasher, I turn it on and come back to a clean pool.

But that’s just me, I also don’t get automation for pools but we are all different.

Have you tried the fine filter with the Polaris? I have both and the fine filter picks up a lot of stuff the regular one misses.
Yes, I recently purchased the fine dirt/silt cannister. It does work better, but it still blows dirty away from the wheels. This is not the case with the TigerShark. The TigerShark may dust up a bit of silt in front of the spinning brushes, but not around and over top of the machine. I can watch dirt get sucked into the sides of the TigerShark. The Polaris visibly blows silt and debris away around the sides and over top the unit as it passes a strip of dirt. This makes the floor look cleaner but it's just spreading the dirt around while only picking up a small portion. This in turn causes cloudiness in the pool. When I pull the fine filter out it's typically half full of water. Yes, water after it's pulled out of the pool, the filter basket will actually hold water because the silt is captured in the mesh. So, I know the fine filter itself is not the issue. It's the "cyclonic" cleaning action or something that's causing a spray around the unit. Maybe the snorkel needs a better rubber seal, but this thing is like new condition. Yes, the basket is firmly in place pushed all the way down in the slides.

I think you just aren't cleaning enough. Run it for like 5 hours. Mine does the same. But it's clean when it's done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I believe the snorkel design to be the issue. Anyone understanding fluid flow understands radius curves improve flow and reduce turbulence. The snorkel scoop that picks up the debris is pointed downward as if it's supposed to scoop debris from the brushes. Inward radius inlet would likely reduce all the turbulence that occurs at the snorkel scoop. Not much to do about it, as it's a molded part of the basket cartridge. :unsure:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.