DIY solar pool heater

Jun 22, 2018
Toronto, ON
If I buy 3 black car hoods from junk yard, install it, and weld steel pipes on trunks sides, will it work?

Is stainless pipe important? They are very expesive,

My pool is 35000 gal and never excide 79. Now is 73 and it's too cold for swimming.

Interesting. Let's calculate
Advanced Drainage Systems
3/4 in. x 500 ft. 100 psi NSF Poly Pipe
$138

3/4 inside diameter, let's say 7/8 outside.
500*(7/8)/12=36.5 sq ft
Or $3.78 per sq ft
Vs $4 per sq ft for sunquest panels

Plus lots or plywood etc.
Same

Polyethylene is not good thermal conductor, no, very bad. Garden hose will be much better, $20 per 100ft, but it thinner and with unknown resistance to chlorine

Polyethylene highly resistance to anything. But heat transfer.

I tend to sunquest panels, cause I suppose they made from high heat transfer material.

But... thermal conductive of plastics less than 1, polyethylene 0.1-0.5, while steel if 50 and copper is 400.

Polyethylene much closer to heat insulators, than to heat conductors.

I will tell what I did one year I installed 2 valves 6" apart with tees and full port ball valves on the discharge pipe of the pump (return for the pool guys I do HVAC & we call it the discharge & suction) connected 100' of black water hose and ran it around the deck. Throttled the 1st valve from the pump untill I had 10 degrees rise between inlet and outlet of the hose.
8 degree pool temp rise in 2 days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.