DIY Screenlogic2

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa/FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I currently have an Easytouch for automation, but I hate the interface. I want to be able to use my computer or phone to change the functions on my pool. I'm thinking about buying this, but I want to make sure I'm buying the right thing, and that this is a simple DIY for someone with moderate DIY skills.

One of my hang ups is that I was reviewing the manual, specifically the picture on page 3, parts 6 and 7 (the protocol adapter and the power center), and it looks like there needs to be a physical connection between the protocol adapter and the power center. My original understanding was that a transceiver is connected to the power center via the com port, and on the inside of the house, the protocol adaptor works with the router to receive and send signals to the transceiver, without a hardwired connection. Is the hardwired connection just an option or a necessity?

Does anyone happen to have a link to any good videos of an installation for screenlogic? I've only seen some programming ones on YT, and nothing useful for the install? Is it just because it is super simple to do?

Last edited:
I am by no means an expert, but I am in the early stages of an install. I tried your link and it didn't lead me to a product. I bought this kit (from PolyTec Pools)(
Pentair ScreenLogic2 Connection and Wireless Kit - Product ID: 522104), and I can tell you, it was easy. The folks at PolyTec WILL make sure that you order the correct kit (they steered me in the right direction).

As for install, because I was starting the install, I was able to hardwire the protocol adapter to the sub panel. The kit above contains wireless transmitters that eliminate the need to do this (hardwiring the PA to the sub panel). Basically the connections would look like this (sorry for just words):

Sub Panel >>>Hardwire>>>Wireless Transmitter +++++Wireless Connection+++++ Wireless Receiver>>>Hardwire>>>Protocol Adapter>>>Hardwire>>>Router

Here is video (not endorsing, I just found it), it sort of lays out the install.

I hope this helps, it is pretty straight forward once you have all the pieces in front of you, and yes, I agree, the instructions don't really explain it very well.

Reactions: GoGoGators
Go,

Hardwiring is an option, but the P/N 522104 also comes with a set of wireless transceivers..

I do not recommend hardwiring.. This is because my neighbor took a direct lightning strike and I got what was left over.. My ScreenLogic was hardwired and the lightning came in on that hardware and took out half of my local net work as well as the Main board in the EasyTouch, the protocol adapter, and a surround sound system and a DVR..

I use the wireless link now.. It works perfectly for me.

Dirt simple to do.. And there are plenty of people here to help if you run into an issue.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: GoGoGators
Go,

Hardwiring is an option, but the P/N 522104 also comes with a set of wireless transceivers..

I do not recommend hardwiring.. This is because my neighbor took a direct lightning strike and I got what was left over.. My ScreenLogic was hardwired and the lightning came in on that hardware and took out half of my local net work as well as the Main board in the EasyTouch, the protocol adapter, and a surround sound system and a DVR..

I use the wireless link now.. It works perfectly for me.

Dirt simple to do.. And there are plenty of people here to help if you run into an issue.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks. The more I look at it, the more it seems like hardwiring is an option, but not a requirement. The instructions are a bit unclear to say the least, but the install seems to be fairly straightforward. I just wanted to confirm that I didn't have to run wire from my router inside of my house to the easytouch panel outside of my house. That would be inconvenient.

As far as ordering it, are there any recommended websites? Just going on price, I think my original link didn't work since the price went up, but it's $549 at poolsupplyforless. I've seen it for $429 at poolcleaningparts. Seems like a huge difference, so I'm wondering if I can trust any of these websites or if there's any consensus on trusted websites for parts. Thanks again.

Check the part numbers...I got this Pentair P/N 522104 from PolyTec Pools (I think the pricing is $519). Their customer service is awesome...they actually called and stopped me from ordering stuff I didn't need or wouldn't work with the system I was purchasing.

Just a mini follow up, but the install for the wireless screenlogic kit was very easy to DIY, and I would recommend anyone give it a try instead of paying to have it done if they are on the fence. Took less than an hour total including clean up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.