DIY Pool Rehab

Got most of the grout done, wife is finishing it up now. While she's doing that I started wrapping the fountain wall with stone ledger panels.

Had to take a break though because it's too hot out. If only we had a pool to cool off in! :D

A main drain can help you mix the water in the summer to help keep the water cooler. It is not much good for brushing stuff to really I have come find out :( I was SO excited to get a main drain but it has not worked like I had hoped. Oh well, live and learn.

Totally agreed! We have one of these in our current pool and it certainly doesn't get rid of any dirt/leaves/debris out of the pool. Living in Canada, we don't really worry about "mixing" the water to keep it cooler (if anything I tried to pull cool water from the bottom of the pool to get it through the heater to warm it up!). During our current pool reno, the new skimmers don't have the line going to the bottom drain and will be sealing that pipe so that its dead going forward.....

Started grinding the stained and flaking Kooldeck off yesterday. Also got a few deliveries, including a multiport filter valve to replace the barely functional slide valve, and an Intelliflo pump. Might try to find time tonight to get the plumbing at the pad finished up.

IMG_20190509_191028.jpg

IMG_20190509_175442.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jason, how easy did that Kool decking come up with the grinder?

In general, not very easy. It came off pretty easily in some areas where the Kool deck was really deteriorated though. Didn't help that the grinder I rented had a nearly worn out cutting disc, which resulted in occasional trouble clearing the cuttings even with pretty high water flow. Only got ~1/3 of it done yesterday. Will make sure to get a fresher cutting disc when I rent another one to finish the job this weekend.

Reactions: Arizonarob
Step marker accent tile arrived today.

IMG_20190510_185136.jpg

This is hobby work compared to his day job ?

Hah!

There are a few very key differences though. At work I typically have a large pool of skilled labor, access to lots of high tech equipment, and nobody really cares how it looks when it's done. For this project I have only my own labor, very limited tools and equipment, and it has to look nice when it's done.

Sigh...................one of my fav BLING tiles!!!

So how are you going to do it? Two rows? Make a pretty shape with them?

Have you played with different colors under them like white, off white, light and dark gray? You can get paint color cards to use. Make sure to do it outside in the pool so you know for sure which one you like the best. There is NO wrong answer for this one.

Grout-If the tiles will be just for the bench and stairs then you can use the plaster unless the pebbles will not fit. If you do use grout I would get as close to the plaster color as you can so it does not stand out too much.

Kim:kim:

Trying to decide whether to use 2 rows or 3, but leaning towards 2. Will make a border all the way around the Baja shelf, edges of the lower step, and between the waterline tile and the stone on the fountain.

Yep, played with colors as soon as the tile arrived, and decided on white thinset. Other than the strip on the fountain, they will not be grouted. I'll let the plaster fill in the gaps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.