DIY pool aerator

Aug 29, 2018
SFBay
My $7 pool aerator …

[from my Instagram post @redneckmodern]

… the DIY #redneckmodern pool aerator

there are several measures of alkalinity in a pool: pH and TA (total alkalinity). they are related but can also be different… #itscomplicated … when you lower pH with acid, it takes TA with it. when you add bicarbonate, it raises both together as well. when you’re battling an imbalance of pH and TA, for instance when TA is high and pH is low, it’s tough to mitigate. Introducing air into the pool (aerating) is the only way to increase pH without effecting TA. in our case, TA is high, so adding acid to get the TA down into range takes the pH lower, too. now, adding air will bring the pH up and leave the TA alone.

this is made with:
1-1/2 thread to slip PVC coupling
1-1/2 to 1/2 slip PVC bushing
6in of 1/2 PVC
18in of 5/16 (5mm) PEX (cut at angle)
… about $7 total

remember: you saw it here @redneckmodern on IG ...

F3655F35-A429-4879-9E80-C20D36A0C49E.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: newdude
I just bought a bunch of pvc to make something much more complicated. Is this actually working well? I may take back what I have and try this instead. Thanks

Reactions: hlwimmer
I just bought a bunch of pvc to make something much more complicated. Is this actually working well? I may take back what I have and try this instead. Thanks
it's bubbling well ... I just made a few more to cover all of the returns.

also: link was removed with intel on how to make. more photos at @redneckmodern on instagram if you're curious.

Reactions: mc2021