Bronze Supporter
May 20, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Hi all -- I've purchased a Hayward HeatPro 47,000 (HP50HA) that I plan to install myself [using a real electrician to run electric].

My question is: how far from the pool I can install it?

Below is a poor visual that shows my situation. The pool pump is in rather plain sight between the pool and garage, plugged into an internal outlet in the garage. Ideally I could install the heat pump around the back corner.

I'm using the standard Intex 1.5" hoses for intake and return to the pool pump (6ft ?). Distance from pump to the ideal heat pump location behind the garage would be ~15 feet. (And also slightly downhill; ~18 inches below pool pump.) I do have an extra 0.5HP Intex pump I could perhaps install in-line between the current pump/sand filter apparatus, if that would help move water that distance.

1620236925430.png

I'll copy/paste my concluding sentence from all my other TFP posts: is this wildly unrealistic, or does this make sense? Thanks in advance for your guidance!

To work it requires 20 gpm flow.. those Intex pumps "may" get that.. the more pipe you add the more head you will have and the lower flow.. it going to be tight but it may work :)

Are you hard piping everything? It would be MUCH better to keep the heat you are making in the pool and not the pipe...

Reactions: Magis00
Thanks for the reply. Hmm. Good points. So- hard piping much better for heat retention than the plastic hoses. And the longer run between pump and heater may be too far to have good pressure which would mess up heater function.

Also considering some kind of fake plants or something to just camouflage the equipment so Mrs. Magis is happy, and then just install right next to one another by the garage... no long run, more heat.

That probably is the better answer, huh?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.