DIY Install - Please critique pool plumbing diagram

Kat_TN

Jul 10, 2019
Nashville, TN
After much research on TFP, we designed our pool plumbing diagram. We would really appreciate if any TFP experts review it and give us any feedback. Dig starts on Monday.

Here are some details:
  • Pool - 21’x38’ (21K gallons) semi-inground vinyl pool buried all the way in-ground (stadium steps across full width)
  • Pump - Pentair SuperFlo VS 1.5HP
  • Filter - Hayward S310S ProSeries 30” with SP0715X62 multi-port valve
  • Plumbing - All 2” rigid SCH40 PVC (except for 3/4" deck jet lines)
  • Water features - 2 x 24” wide sheer descent waterfalls + 4 Jandy deck jets
  • Diverter Valves - Jandy NeverLube 3 Way
  • Check Valves - Jandy
  • Flow Meter - H2 Flow Controls FV-C Control FlowVis 2”
  • Solar - black PVC type on 12’x12’ gazebo roof (we know it's very small but that's all we have)
Specific questions we have:
  1. Location
    1. Does this look good - 4 jets on 1 side, 2 skimmers on the other? Skimmers are positioned downwind of prevailing winds. Or should we put a jet or 2 on a different wall?
    2. Is location of flow meter good?
    3. Check valves - we put one after the filter to keep pump primed and one on return line of solar. Good, bad, any changes or other check valves needed?
  2. Home runs
    1. This plan includes 2 home run returns lines with each line split between 2 jets. We would equalize the distance for each 2 jets from a T to the jet. Or do we need to home run all 4 returns?
    2. Due to limitation of available electricity, we can't do a second pump for water features. Our plan is to switch to them when we want to during swimming by diverting water from return jets to water features with Jandy 3 way valve. Do we need to home run each waterfall (as pictured in diagram) or can they share one 2" pipe and just split closer to the pool (as long as they are equal distance from the split)?
  3. Pentair SuperFlo VS came with 1.5" unions. I saw that they also sell 2" unions separately. Since all our plumbing is 2", should we get the 2" union or just use an adapter from 1.5" to 2" piping. Would it make any difference on head loss?
Thank you so much in advance!

Attachments

• pool plumbing.PNG
    pool plumbing.PNG
    38.2 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
I would home run all returns and both waterfalls. PVC is inexpensive. You want valves on both waterfall lines to balance the flow.

Use all diverter valves. Ball valves will eventually stick and break.

@ajw22 , thank you for the reply. I was considering adding valves on each waterfall line to control flow. Do 2 way diverter valves do a good job of throttling flow in small increments like ball valves do? I thought they have more "shut on, shut off" type function. I've been reading about ball valves getting stuck and definitely want to avoid issues in the future.

I'm guessing, for 3/4" deck jets, ball valves would be OK? They would be cheap to replace down the road if they had issues.

@ajw22 , thank you for the reply. I was considering adding valves on each waterfall line to control flow. Do 2 way diverter valves do a good job of throttling flow in small increments like ball valves do? I thought they have more "shut on, shut off" type function. I've been reading about ball valves getting stuck and definitely want to avoid issues in the future.

I'm guessing, for 3/4" deck jets, ball valves would be OK? They would be cheap to replace down the road if they had issues.

Yes, 2 way diverter valves do a good job of throttling flow in small increments. If anything you have finer control over flow then a ball valve.

Ball valves are not cheap to replace when you need to cut them out and do PVC repair anytime they fail. Diverter valves can be rebuilt as necessary.

Reactions: Kat_TN
@Kat_TN You've obviously done your homework and have a big DIY project ahead of you. I look forward to seeing the progress.

When I added the SWCG I wanted to plan it in 3D, so I could figure out what would fit where and how. Sketchup has a free trial that was helpful to me and relatively easy to use. Once the trial was up, I could still access everything with their online site. I'm not affiliated with the company... it just helped me. Some TFP members asked what I used so I wanted to share that, in case it would help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.