hanerd

May 13, 2022
SW Michigan
Hey Folks. I’m looking for a little bit of guidance here to make sure I’m not going to blow things up.

I just a 12K gal inground saltwater pool installed. I have a Hayward H250FDN Heater. I’m a heavy user of Home Assistant and quite adept at automating things so I want to automate my heater.

My current working idea is to get 3 DS18B20 temperature sensors to measure ambient air temp, intake, and return temperatures. I’d then use a relay to control the Hayward heater on/off and Home Assistant to control the temperature set points and pump on / off.

Now my question: To control the heater, do I simply need to connect 24VAC to the 2-wire remote thermostat terminals? IE: COM and POOL and use the relay to switch the POOL leg? If so, can I get away with using a 24VAC wall wart like for a sprinkler controller?

Thanks in advance. The contractor is currently here getting it ready for summer and I’m so excited to use it and if this works, I’d love to post a write up as well. Googling hasn’t really gotten me very far on this specific scenario.

Now my question: To control the heater, do I simply need to connect 24VAC to the 2-wire remote thermostat terminals? IE: COM and POOL and use the relay to switch the POOL leg? If so, can I get away with using a 24VAC wall wart like for a sprinkler controller?

You do not put 24V AC on the circuit. The heater provides the 24V AC.

You just need to use a relay to close the remote thermostat circuit when you want the heater to run.

Hey Folks. I’m looking for a little bit of guidance here to make sure I’m not going to blow things up.

I just a 12K gal inground saltwater pool installed. I have a Hayward H250FDN Heater. I’m a heavy user of Home Assistant and quite adept at automating things so I want to automate my heater.

My current working idea is to get 3 DS18B20 temperature sensors to measure ambient air temp, intake, and return temperatures. I’d then use a relay to control the Hayward heater on/off and Home Assistant to control the temperature set points and pump on / off.

Thanks in advance. The contractor is currently here getting it ready for summer and I’m so excited to use it and if this works, I’d love to post a write up as well. Googling hasn’t really gotten me very far on this specific scenario.
Did you get this working to your liking? Care to fill us in? I also use HomeAssistant and will be doing similar automations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.