Diverter valve for filter outlet/drain?

Auburn02

Oct 8, 2019
Mobile, AL
We're closing in on having our coping and decking completed, at which time we're also working up a drainage plan. The plan is to configure what is essentially a 40 sqft/80 cuft (600 gallon) gravel drain field out in the yard, and into that field would be the pool overflow, a channel drain from part of the deck so water doesn't pond against a small retaining wall, and the outlet from the filter for backwashing. The 600 gallon field should be sufficient for a standard backwash/rinse cycle, but in the future when I have a need to drain a much larger amount of water I need a way to divert that outlet from the field to a temporary hose I would run out to the street about 120' (uphill) away.

Should I just add a standard 3 way diverter valve on the outlet side of the filter? I would have thought this might be more common but couldn't find similar setups in a search.

Running backwash to the house drain isn't an option (septic) nor do I want to trench a permanent line 120' uphill to the street.

If you are doing a significant draining of your pool you should be using a submersible pump and not your pool pump. You don't want to risk an expensive pool pump running dry during the draining and being damaged. In addition I don't know if you will have a main drain in the bottom of your pool since your pool pump will only drain the pool down to the bottom of the skimmer.

Also, when you say a hose you mean a 3/4" garden hose or a larger firemans type hose?

I suggest you get a submersible pump with your 120' hose and put it out when you need to do significant draining.

I do have a main drain, but that's a good point about just purchasing a submersible pump for any significant drain required when that time comes, mitigates any risk to my expensive pool pump and the need to work that future need into my current drain plan. And yes I didn't mean a standard water hose, more of a 1.5-2" hose like some people roll out for backwashing or the like.

Love it when the answer is so easy/obvious. Thanks Allen!

I think you will need a fairly strong submersible pump to pump 120' uphill. Look at the type of pump Home Depot rents and you may want to rent and try one before you buy.

Reactions: Auburn02
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.