Ditching robots and going manual

Apr 16, 2015
Rosenberg/TX
After having gone through 3 robotic cleaners in as many years, I'm ready to jump ship and go back to manual vacuuming.

However, we have a cartridge-filter so backwashing isn't really possible plus there is no drain nearby to handle the backwash. So I'm thinking of getting something like this: https://jet.com/product/INTEX-2100-GPH-Krystal-Clear-Sand-Filter-Pool-Pump-with-Deluxe-Maintenance-Kit/b7b8751468d44fa59a66b2315db9efe4

I'd plug the vacuum up to this pump and go at it (our pool is only about 12K gal). I could put the pump/filter on a wheeled dolly or cart to make it more mobile. With the sand filter, I wouldn't need to worry about replacing filter cartridges. Backwashing would be as easy as rolling it out to the curb and turning it on, letting the water go down the street drain.

And its way cheaper than yet-another-robot!

Anyone done something like this or see any flaws in this plan?

Bill W

Bill,

I think your manual vacuum idea would work fine...

Do you mind sharing what specific robot you have been using.

I ask because I have three of them and two of them are at least 12 years old and still going strong..

Thank

One problem you might run into is that most above-ground pumps are not self-priming pumps so you'll have to prime it every time by hand. Also, if you lose prime during vacuuming, the pump will stop. Sand filters are not known for their fine filtration performance so all of the finer dirt and silt is likely to pass right through.

As Jim said, there's no reason it won't work but it's also odd that you've gone through so many robots? Were they covered under warranties? What was the defect? Most folks around here have had robots for years without trouble.

I would also suggest that if you do intend to vacuum the way you describe, then consider purchasing a pond vacuum. They look like large shopvacs that have both a suction and discharge hose. They are typically used for cleaning up ponds and utilize a cartridge style filtration medium for capturing debris.

It will be more efficient than the setup you're considering and not cost all that much more.

Another option if using a manual vac or suction side cleaner, you can (and probably should) use an inline canister to catch most of the debris. You can fit it with a finer mesh filter to catch all but the smallest particles, add a skimmer basket sock for further filtration then your filter can catch what's left. I used one with both the hand vac and my diver dave suction cleaner before upgrading to a robot.

Not sure what robots you are using but I went with a dolphin E10 and so far I have been very happy with how well it works. I added the ultra fine filter and only running once per week or so my pool gets clean and stays that way. Running the suction cleaner or hand vac it seemed the fine dirt was back about as fast as I sucked it up. I have a DE filter, a sand filter will not do as good of a job at catching the fine stuff. Can't attest to it's durability yet as I just got it this season.

The manual vac is not something I particularly enjoy using and other suction cleaners I have used are more frustration than they are worth. Diver dave was constantly blown over due to the fast current in my round pool. If I throttle the return flow down enough to keep him upright then he easily gets stuck or doesn't pick up anything. The robot just goes about it's business whether the pump is running or not, I really like that about it.

An inline canister that is lined with a disposable hair net or knee high nylon would remove all but the very finest debris before it gets to your filter. Using hair nets in skimmers, in line canister and knee highs in my leaf canister, I only have to clean my DE filter once a year.

I will probably never get a robotic cleaner. I can go to garage, carry hose, brush and vacuum head to pool. Brush and vacuum, take equipment back to garage all in about 30 min. The pool installer put in a large for my pool, canister filter. Pool has been opened since end of April and pressure has barely gone up. Maybe I'll need to clean once before closing in October. I also kind of enjoy it, manual vacuuming is therapeutic.

I said the same thing my first year with my pool!. Wait another couple of seasons and you may change your mind :). Dropping in that robot, walking away and coming back to a clean pool is life changing...you will/may never go back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well with the temperatures here in the 100+ area for more than a month, it's only therapeutic if you do it from inside the pool.

I've gone through two Polaris 93xx systems. The first one came with the pool/house we bought. It had one of the wheel motors burn out. Can't buy just the motor, gotta buy the whole motor assembly. The actual motor is like $5 or so while the motor assembly was like $800 (at the time). Got another 9300. Now this one was used but it was only a couple of hundred dollars. Worked for about 2-3 months then the control box went out. Those were selling for about $300 at the time (new. couldn't find any used). This last was a 9550. Bought it used for $600 It had lasted about a year. Control box went out on it also. Tried a couple of used models from ebay but they did not work. At least I was able to get refunds for those.

I've heard that the Dolphin brand is a bit better, but research seems to indicate they only last for a couple of years as well. I'm just tired of throwing money at this issue when manual seems to be workable.

Why not just vacuum into the canister filters? Sure I can open them up, remove and hose them down. But that's a lot of wear-n-tear and time. Last time I washed the filters it took almost 2 hours (4 filters).

I've gone through two Polaris 93xx systems. The first one came with the pool/house we bought. It had one of the wheel motors burn out. Can't buy just the motor, gotta buy the whole motor assembly. The actual motor is like $5 or so while the motor assembly was like $800 (at the time). Got another 9300. Now this one was used but it was only a couple of hundred dollars. Worked for about 2-3 months then the control box went out. Those were selling for about $300 at the time (new. couldn't find any used). This last was a 9550. Bought it used for $600 It had lasted about a year. Control box went out on it also. Tried a couple of used models from ebay but they did not work. At least I was able to get refunds for those.

I've heard that the Dolphin brand is a bit better, but research seems to indicate they only last for a couple of years as well. I'm just tired of throwing money at this issue when manual seems to be workable.

Why not just vacuum into the canister filters? Sure I can open them up, remove and hose them down. But that's a lot of wear-n-tear and time. Last time I washed the filters it took almost 2 hours (4 filters).

I've certainly read more bad reviews of the Polaris robots than good reviews. But, I think the other problem is that you've been buying the robots used. While I'm all for saving a buck when you can by getting stuff used, pool robots are not something I would consider getting off eBay or CL. You just can't ever be sure how badly abused they were by the previous owner or what kind of corrosive, off-balance water chemistry they left the units in. Yep, the replacement parts are all very expensive; my S300i has only 3 major replaceable parts (modules) - the pump/motor, the controller and the electrical cord. A pump/motor unit is well north of $500 to replace and even the cord is something like $200 to replace. This is why getting a good warranty and trying to extend it a little by purchasing on a credit card that gives you warranty coverage is so critical with robots.

Anyone can manually vacuum a pool and my 4 year old manual vacuum head finally gave-up-the-ghost a week ago. I will definitely replace it at the end of the season when the local shops will hopefully be giving away inventory. That said, if all I had to clean a pool with was a manual vacuum head, I'd definitely not like having a pool....

I'm very happy with my Dolphin DX5s robot! I put it in on weekly basis usually on Saturday to run a 3 hour cycle then put it away in a closet! I don't leave it in the pool.

Pool is spotless after the cycle is done.
I don't have to run the pump at a high speed and it's whisper quiet.

I agree you should buy a robot new and take care of it it you want it to last.

I'd like to see that "research." As the owner of two Dolphins, one that is old enough to get a driver's license and the other at 2 years, I'd raise holy heck if a 2-year lifespan was the norm. My S300 is as good as it was on day one, has a 2-year warranty (which is extended by the credit card I used) and is worth every penny that I spent on it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.