Disco Pool

Is there a way for me to find out by going straight to the County office
Yes, just call the planning department and ask. But if your PB is manipulating/hiding the permit progress from you as a way of juggling his too-many-pools roster, that could really set him off. Just be careful. It's ridiculous, of course, that you have to play these games with this guy. I hinted at your other path, but I support your choice. In for a penny, in for a pound.

The BBB is a joke.
I looked into them once (as a business, not a complainant), and was surprised to learn what BBB was really about. I always assumed they were a pro-consumer advocate, fighting for the little guy, the underdog, the victim. Nope. They're a private, for-profit entity. They take money from the very companies they're suppose to be watchdogging, in the form of "membership." Companies get their "BBB rating" by paying dues. Consumers pay nothing to the BBB. You can figure out from that how their system really works, and who they will protect first when it comes down to it...

Better relief from wrong doing by contractors comes from the state contractors board, though they don't actually have any real jurisdiction over contractors, in terms of punishments they can meter out. They have some leverage, but don't even make public complaint filings. They are, at least, an advocate of the consumer because they are not paid by contractors (not directly, anyway). Contractors pay license fees, but boards get their funds primarily from the state (which are your taxes).

Social media is a path, but just so-so in effectiveness. Yelp is more like BBB, in that they are more into advertiser dollars than integrity. The more you pay them, the better your good reviews stick. There are too many stories of them cleansing accounts of five-star ratings, under the guise of suspicious reviewers. Once you start advertising, your reviews take on a new life.

The only real recourse a consumer has is the judicial system. The double-whammy is the board and the court together. If you can get a judgement from the court, then the board can suspend a contractor's license until they pay. In effect, you can put a contractor out of business until they make good. That's why I always recommend filing a board complaint along with a lawsuit. A judgement is meaningless if you can't collect. A contractor's license at stake is a powerful incentive.

That's all CA, by the way. Other states may or may not have similar protections.

Last edited:
They take money from the very companies they're supposed to be watchdogging, in the form of "membership." Companies get their "BBB rating" by paying dues
Said business was not a member so I figured for sure I could get a review published. BBB said ‘ oh well, they have some other complaints already, no need for more’.

and pushing for the UV/Ozone clearly tells their loyalty is in profit.
Have you considered... putting in the SWG after the build? You may have mentioned this upthread and I missed it. Just say we haven't decided on a system.. and have him stub space for one. Then install it after the inspectors leave. This is a fairly common practice in Texas builds since there is thing with TX PBs having a bizarre aversion to SWG's... Not that you want to negotiate another change order, I'm sure.

Still no news of permit approval after 5 weeks btw. Is there a way for me to find out by going straight to the County office? Thanks, all!

Most municipalities down here have online systems to track permits that are as simple as putting in your address and checking. You can do it in a way that no one knows you're checking. Some small city/towns may not have this, but with Covid, I have noticed that everyone is stepping up their game. Check out your permitting authority (county/city/town) and see if their building department has an option to look up permit status.

Of course, if you find out that they haven't submitted your permit, or it has been approved and they haven't told you that... then you have to decide if you want to bring that up to them or not.

You should also review your engineering plans before they break ground. From another post about depth, the guy wanted 6', plans show 5'-6", walls are 5'5-ish, water depth will be right around 5'... just make sure everything in the plans matches up with what your contract says. PB will wiggle out of any issues, but the subs will build what's on the plans, so you doing a review of them will help minimize those types of issues.

Reactions: Dirk
Thanks for all the information and tips. I hope I never have to go to any cslb and court route for any reason for the next 3-4 months. I’ll check my county if I can find any permit. I was told it was filed on Jan. 11th. I understand the COVID effect on the timeline.
What’s really sad aside fromhaving to keep a close eye on everything is the fact that I’m actually scaredthat I might offend themwhich could affect the build. I’ve seen other horror stories here which have a lot of happy endings. I feel ok though knowing I got TFPcommunity to lean on. I will look into supporting my supporters ASAP.

If it makes you feel any better, now-a-days you need to keep an eye on the process no matter what, even with the nicest, most cooperative of contractors. Attention to detail is a thing of the past. Especially now with all the PBs so busy. So you're not really going to be eagle-eying him any more or less than you would have, should have done anyway.

Whatever your relationship with the PB turns into, there's a work-around, as he probably won't be doing much of the actual work, if any. And this is also true of any build, any type of construction. Keep the talent happy! The talent is the subs. And in reality, not even all of them. The true talent is the guy working for minimum wage! So you make sure they are well fed with snacks and treats and lots of drinks. Lots of praise. Etc. They're the ones building your pool, not the PB. And you don't ask them if they want lunch, or a cool drink. You put it out for them.

I few hundred bucks in goodies can go a long way! You make your job site the one they want to get to, to do well at.

Last edited:
Reactions: kimkats and mguzzy
Whatever your relationship with the PB turns into, there's a work-around, as he probably won't be doing much of the actual work, if any. And this is also true of any build, any type of construction. Keep the talent happy! The talent is the subs. And in reality, not even all of them. The true talent is the guy working for minimum wage! So you make sure they are well fed with snacks and treats and lots of drinks. Lots of praise. Etc. They're the ones building your pool, not the PB. And you don't ask them if they want lunch, or a cool drink. You put it out for them.

I few hundred bucks in goodies can go a long way! You make your job site the one they want to get to, to do well at.

This is very true! I had coolers and fans out for the workers do cool off with since my pool was built in june/july! I am mexican and most of the workers were hispanic, so friendly chat during slow time and offering them food and drink and stuff really went a long way.

Reactions: Newdude and Dirk
+1. I work at customers houses. I can regale you with many tales of the nice ones, and the mean ones. Anybody in between is just Meh ? Maybe I was there. I'm good to all of them regardless but the nice customers still sure can change how far I'm willing to go above and beyond.

...... But WAIT... there's MORE !!! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: MiguelACA
I definitely plan to keep the real talents happy! I read it in this site as well that pizza and drinks go a long way. Now that cooler and making our project the place to be is what I’ll definitely drive for.
Update on the permit, I asked vi email for an update. Found out today when I checked my County website that the permit was submitted on the day I asked. The permit had been issued since 2/24/21. I was about to ask the office if they have an update regarding the permit to see if they’ll lie to me but I got a good tip from a friend. “Don’t try to catch them on a lie. Just let them know that you got notification that it’s been issued and you’re wondering when construction can begin.” That made a lot of sense because my goal is to get construction started, not to start a fight. Hopefully, I get a response soon and get the construction part started.

Reactions: Dirk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I definitely plan to keep the real talents happy! I read it in this site as well that pizza and drinks go a long way. Now that cooler and making our project the place to be is what I’ll definitely drive for.
Update on the permit, I asked in-person last 1/29/21 and told me it was submitted 1/11/21. I asked for an update via email on 2/16/21. Found out today when I checked my County website that the permit was only submitted on 2/16/21. The permit had been issued since 2/24/21. I was about to ask the office if they have an update regarding the permit to see if they’ll lie to me but I got a good tip from a friend. “Don’t try to catch them on a lie. Just let them know you got notification that it’s been issued and you’re wondering when construction can begin.” That made a lot of sense because my goal is to get construction started, not to start a fight. Hopefully, I get a response soon and get the construction part started.

Most municipalities down here have online systems to track permits that are as simple as putting in your address and checking. You can do it in a way that no one knows you're checking. Some small city/towns may not have this, but with Covid, I have noticed that everyone is stepping up their game. Check out your permitting authority (county/city/town) and see if their building department has an option to look up permit status.

Of course, if you find out that they haven't submitted your permit, or it has been approved and they haven't told you that... then you have to decide if you want to bring that up to them or not.

You should also review your engineering plans before they break ground. From another post about depth, the guy wanted 6', plans show 5'-6", walls are 5'5-ish, water depth will be right around 5'... just make sure everything in the plans matches up with what your contract says. PB will wiggle out of any issues, but the subs will build what's on the plans, so you doing a review of them will help minimize those types of issues.
This engineering plan, is it the same as the one they drew up together with the contract? If not, I’ll have to ask for one.

I’m looking forward to meeting my Project Manager for a walkthrough sometime this March. (Hopefully ASAP). What can I expect from that meeting/walkthrough? I plan to sit with him and talk about the HOA recommendations, negative reviews that I would like them to avoid such as leaving dirt by neighbors fence and eventually breaking it, and the Program Manager becoming a simple Check Collector where they don’t check the real talents’ work and simply leave right after checks been collected. Any advice will be much appreciated as always!

Be positive with the Program Manager. Tell him what you want not what you don’t want.

Tell him “Here is how I would like us to work together...”

Ask him how he would like to do certain things and what should you expect.

Be positive with the Program Manager. Tell him what you want not what you don’t want.

Tell him “Here is how I would like us to work together...”

Ask him how he would like to do certain things and what should you expect.
I’ll do that. Thanks for the tips!

Text is fine. You can prove what was said which is the bulk of what you need. Phonecalls can be recorded in most states if at least one of you is aware its being recorded. Check your local laws.

This engineering plan, is it the same as the one they drew up together with the contract? If not, I’ll have to ask for one.
No real need to ask, when they put a permit box up in your yard, they will put the approved plans in there, you can grab them and review or make a copy. Make sure you put them back though. If that is not normal practice outside of FL, you can always ask for a copy of all of your permit documents for your own records.

No real need to ask, when they put a permit box up in your yard, they will put the approved plans in there, you can grab them and review or make a copy. Make sure you put them back though. If that is not normal practice outside of FL, you can always ask for a copy of all of your permit documents for your own records.
Got it! Appreciate you for this!

Walkthrough tomorrow! Is this the part where they mark the ground to prepare for excavation? Anything else I need to know aside from being positive when meeting with the Project Manager? Thanks in advance!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.