Disco Pool

Concrete pour today! They just told me about it last night. I’ve cool with it, but I bet not for those who needs a more organized schedule. The project manager also told me to make sure we DO NOT water the deck for two weeks and not to walk on it for 4 days. PM said that water seeps in between concrete, expands, and causes it to crack. Curious as a number of threads I see say water it to avoid concrete curing too fast. What is the best practice? In any case, I’m following their advise so if anything goes wrong, I’ll say I did everything they told me.

I've never been told not to water new concrete. I've always been instructed to water it starting the next morning. Our deck was poured a little over two weeks ago and they had us watering for 4 days.

I would double check with the PB on that.... sounds like a miscommunication. I have never heard of not watering concrete.. unless it was poured in freezing conditions.. THEN there is possibility of it expanding. But in heat like this? in CA? in the summer? I have even seen them put wet old carpets on concrete to keep it from desiccating to fast. Or is it some other kind of material that isn't concrete (I don't know what)?.

Reactions: Jgc88
I heard from a neighbor that Discovery Bay, CA has too much moisture underneath that’s why he was also told by a different PB not to water his for two weeks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am SO in for this one!! The others have you well started on the equipment.

I am going to talk of the "auto drain". The only thing you need is a run of pipe with a grate over the hole in the pool. The grate/pipe will set way up the water line tile so the only way it will allow water out is from big rains. The pipe should be run to where your local government allows water to drain to. Mine is just ran to the grass beyond the pool.

Kim:kim:
Just now completely understanding what you said months ago, Kim. The thing is, the “autodrain” is not the same as what Dirk said, having a combined auto fill and drain yet it cost me $1.6K. They didn’t have to dig an extra trench, they used the same one for the drainage system. The thing is, at least it’s there and I don’t have to worry about leaving the pool during the weekdays on a rainy day and flooding my neighbors or damaging the coping. Thanks again for the tips since I started. Next step, ordering the test kit!

Reactions: kimkats
Test Kit Question

I’m planning to buy a test kit but not sure what’s best for SWG. Can I get an advice as to what TF test I should take? Thank you!

The TF-100 pro from tftestkits.net is gonna be your best bang for the buck.

Or you can buy the Taylor K-2006C, the dpd powder FC test, and the K-1766 salt test to do the same thing from many suppliers. The reagents aren’t customized to how we use them so although you have them, you’ll have way too much of some and not enough of the others after a while.

the tf100 pro comes with a smart stir which is the best $30 you can possibly spend on your pool and a nifty case to hold it all.

Reactions: mguzzy and kimkats
Decking Done!
VERY cool.

I’m obsessed with smaller pools. We put one in and absolutely love it. Reach back out to the small pool crowd when you start managing chemistry, etc. It’s a beast of its own.

I’m in it every morning. Part of my zen routine. Love the pics!

Avenger_chicago!!! I was just reading about your build thread this Wednesday! Couldn’t believe you saw mine. I was trying to learn as much as I can about balancing pool chemistry that’s how I stumbled upon your thread. I’m wondering, may contact you for support when I have issues of my own?

I love your set-up! I purposely said no to a retaining wall so I can have as much space as we can given out small backyard space. We’ll put the loungers at the side just like how you did it. Oh, my first design btw was very similar to yours. I was just thinking of a spool but with swim jets so I can work out but the quote price almost made us give up on having a pool at all. This 2nd quote became our final one because it started with $45K. I guess it was a click bait because we ended up with double the price. We’re in happy anticipation of seeing everything done by our 19th wedding anniversary though, June 27th. I hope we can at least have water in it by that time :)

Avenger_chicago!!! I was just reading about your build thread this Wednesday! Couldn’t believe you saw mine. I was trying to learn as much as I can about balancing pool chemistry that’s how I stumbled upon your thread. I’m wondering, may contact you for support when I have issues of my own?

I love your set-up! I purposely said no to a retaining wall so I can have as much space as we can given out small backyard space. We’ll put the loungers at the side just like how you did it. Oh, my first design btw was very similar to yours. I was just thinking of a spool but with swim jets so I can work out but the quote price almost made us give up on having a pool at all. This 2nd quote became our final one because it started with $45K. I guess it was a click bait because we ended up with double the price. We’re in happy anticipation of seeing everything done by our 19th wedding anniversary though, June 27th. I hope we can at least have water in it by that time :)

Of course you can contact me! It is a little bit of a tricky thing to learn. But over time you get to learn your pool pretty well. My partner thinks I’m absolutely insane. Our backyard is where we spend all of our time. It essentially became an outdoor living room this year. Landscaping just got completely done this week so I’ll post some pics later. Once it stops raining.

Our build was an exercise in patience. We signed a contract over two years ago and still don’t have the right size pool cover! Lots of little things along the way and having a small, cramped space definitely slowed down the process. But I’m very happy we did it.

Or you can buy the Taylor K-2006C, the dpd powder FC test, and the K-1766 salt test to do the same thing from many suppliers. The reagents aren’t customized to how we use them so although you have them, you’ll have way too much of some and not enough of the others after a while.

the tf100 pro comes with a smart stir which is the best $30 you can possibly spend on your pool and a nifty case to hold it all.
Thank you! TF100 Pro then!

Reactions: mguzzy

Hi again, Newdude and Mguzzy!
How do I avail of the discount by being a TFP supporter? There is a coupon code but not sure where to get them.
Over the years I accumulated the stuff that is in a TF100 Pro Salt Version.. so you might as well just start there!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.