Raleigh, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
first time pulling my filter apart for deepcleaning and to check a possible busted lateral. Ive got the multiport pulled apart and the o-ring clamp removed. 3 parts of questions:

(1) I can not get the tank separated from the valve assembly.

1. Does anyone know if it screws in to the tank?
2. Does the vertical connect directly/screwed into the VA?

Page 8 has diagram
Manual for reference: https://www.pentair.com/content/dam...elus-filter-manual-english-spanish-french.pdf

(2) If I cant get them separated, Im looking at having to cut pipes. To avoid having to cut in the future, id like to replace with some screwed unions:

Thoughts on doing same? My SWG has something like this, which works out well for easy removal of it for cleaning, which is what gave me the idea.

(3) Last, the Oring clamp was leaking this year. Any ideas on getting it to seal better and/or putting some sort of sealant (removable) in the gap or clamp?

TIA!

The valve clamps on unless it is a really old valve.

To lift the valve off, you have to disconnect the pipes.

If your filter was manufactured before November 1994, please call Pentair Technical Support at 1-800-831-7133 for correct replacement part numbers for your filter.

The first 4 digits of the serial number indicate the month and year product was manufactured.

How old is the filter?

Can you show the system?
1705802290815.png

1705802331709.png

Yes ive removed the clamp. Im hoping to slide the tank from the valve assembly.
if i read the date stamp right, 06.

first time pulling my filter apart for deepcleaning and to check a possible busted lateral. Ive got the multiport pulled apart and the o-ring clamp removed. 3 parts of questions:

(1) I can not get the tank separated from the valve assembly.

1. Does anyone know if it screws in to the tank?
2. Does the vertical connect directly/screwed into the VA?

Page 8 has diagram
Manual for reference: https://www.pentair.com/content/dam...elus-filter-manual-english-spanish-french.pdf

(2) If I cant get them separated, Im looking at having to cut pipes. To avoid having to cut in the future, id like to replace with some screwed unions:

Thoughts on doing same? My SWG has something like this, which works out well for easy removal of it for cleaning, which is what gave me the idea.

(3) Last, the Oring clamp was leaking this year. Any ideas on getting it to seal better and/or putting some sort of sealant (removable) in the gap or clamp?

TIA!
Hopefully, no one used any type of sealant, like silicone, to try to stop a leak and "glued" the valve in place to the adpater. If so, it can be removed with a large flat bar, or large screwdriver, by carefully wedging it around the two parts and slowly prying so as to not damage the flange on the valve.
Regardless of which model, if there are no unions, the plumbing will have to be cut to lift the MPV off the tank.
A new O ring is the answer to a leak at both the adapter and MPV, the clamp doesn't seal anything, it just holds the valve in place.
Carefully examine the area around the adapter. There are cracks in the tank that sometimes develop right at the opening. They can't be sealed in any long-lasting way.

Joy, thanks. Whats the thought on replacing with some screwed unions to ease this in the future? Unless youve a way to unglue previous cuts and fitted unions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Aye JamesW indicated same. I totally forgot they were threaded and never considered it. I think they are threaded internally too but its a matter of finding a union to work for that.

Thanks all!

Aye JamesW indicated same. I totally forgot they were threaded and never considered it. I think they are threaded internally too but its a matter of finding a union to work for that.

Thanks all!
Depends on the size valve you have, most likely a 1.5" one.
These:

For a 2" valve, these:

Just a source, not a recommendation for the company.

The thread is 1.5" NPT.

In my opinion, the external thread is a better choice because the internal thread is more likely to crack the valve port, but either union will work.

View attachment 551279

View attachment 551280View attachment 551281

View attachment 551282
Unlike a normal pipe thread on a male adapter, the threads on those high-temp unions are straight, they don't expand into the valve as a MIP thread does. That's why Teflon tape, nor any other sealant, will not seal the threads, it takes the O ring to seal.
In the picture of a MPV, the adapters are threaded in way too far, and that's when bad things happen. Should never see more than five nor less than three threads outside the fitting to get a proper seal when using a good thread sealant.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.