Disabling pool heater in Jandy Aqualink when cleaner is running

newpoolj

Oct 15, 2020
Sacramento, Ca
I have a Jandy Aqualink controller with a Jandy JVA plugged into the cleaner JVA port, and a separate Hotspot FPH heater that I'd like to disable with a 24VAC relay when the cleaner is running (the FPH requires a certain GPM which won't be available when cleaning). I was hoping this would be as simple as receiving 24VAC... somehow... via AUX 1, which I understand is enabled when the cleaner is enabled, but I'm not sure how to set this up. Any advice on how/where I can get 24VAC to my relay when the cleaner is running?

Thanks!

Last edited:
What cleaner do you have plugged into the CLEANER JVA port?

So the AUX1 relay will close when the cleaner turns on. You need to supply the 24 volts externally for the FPH disable relay and wire it through the AUX1 relay to disable your FPH.

I noticed there happens to be a 24VAC transformer already in the Aqualink box, which appears to power the control panel (though I'm not sure). Would it be ok to tap into this? It does have a specific plug on it at the moment, which goes into the back of the panel.

You tap into the Aqualink 24V AC at your own risk. That is why I didn't suggest it.

I think it is lower risk to use an external 24V AC transformer by your FPH and the disable relay and just run 2 wires into the panel to AUX1 relay.

You tap into the Aqualink 24V AC at your own risk. That is why I didn't suggest it.

I think it is lower risk to use an external 24V AC transformer by your FPH and the disable relay and just run 2 wires into the panel to AUX1 relay.
So you were thinking a single pair of wires forming a 24VAC circuit going from the FPH to AUX 1, which would be opened somehow when AUX1 is enabled? Maybe you can explain a bit more.

I should probably explain a bit more as well - my goal is to open a 24VAC circuit that powers the FPH when the cleaner is running. I assumed a separate 24VAC relay would be the easiest way, but maybe there's a better way for my situation?

Use a relay that is normally closed in your FPH circuit and when energized by AUX1 it opens and disables the FPH.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for this - much appreciated! I'm guessing the transformer would connect to the "line" input in the Jandy relay, or does it not matter?

Does not matter.
Also, any recommendation for a transformer (I plan to mount it inside my Aqualink box)?

Where are you putting the NC relay? I would put the transformer near the relay it is controlling.

Does not matter.

Where are you putting the NC relay? I would put the transformer near the relay it is controlling.
Since the FPH and the Aqualink box are ~100' apart, I plan to put the transformer in the Aqualink box where I have the most space and the relay in the FPH box since it seems weird to send the FPH controller's power all the way to the Aqualink and back. Instead only the relay's coil circuit will need to travel that distance.

My relay draws .9 VA. Would any basic doorbell transformer be fine?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.