Dirt on bottom

Scuba007

Apr 11, 2019
So cal
Hello, I've been battling a problem with constant dirt settling at the bottom of the inground gunite pool 20k gal. and attached spa..I even vacuum to waste, get it clean, run filter again and few days later more dirt..I even removed the DE filter from the loop and pulled the grids and put the multiport valve on recirc..Same thing..I imagine I have a cracked pipe or something pulling in dirt. Would a suction side leak or a pressure side do something like this? Any suggestions

Shhhhhhh but my pool is almost never without *stuff* in it. Dirt, pollen, etc. Between the trees and cats :roll: there is always something being added to my pool. If you wan to really see what it is you can use a turkey baster to such some up. Then you will put a white paper towel over a colander. Squirt the dirt/water out and let it dry to see what it is.

Thank you for your response, I will try to suck some out..One more note, if I dont run the pump the bottom stays clean..Its a good amount of dark dirt grit in pool and spa, I've owned pool for 12 years, never been like this.

how many returns do you have and how is the valve setup? can you close each return individually or in sets? if so shut off one by one or a set of returns and see if the problem goes away. you then know if its a return line cracked and bringing dirt in. obviously you must clean the pool first and in between doing the test

Dirt is a given, unless your pool is indoors. If you've been scrupulous about maintaining pH and FC and vacuuming, your water is so crystal clear that you can see everything. In stark contrast.

It was quite windy the past few days where I live. That always makes things worse. If you live somewhere along the I-15 in San Bernardino, the wind never stops.

For the returns, I have two 1" lines on the wall and two 1" above the water line that have caps with holes drilled in them to spray..I cant isolate between each under water return, only between the above water sprayers and the wall returns.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Please put details of your pool and equipment in your signature. See What we need to know to answer your questions

What type of filter do you have? When was the last time the filter was opened and cleaned? You could have an internal problem in your filter allowing dirt out.

A cracked pipe is the least likely scenario.

Please put details of your pool and equipment in your signature. See What we need to know to answer your questions

What type of filter do you have? When was the last time the filter was opened and cleaned? You could have an internal problem in your filter allowing dirt out.

A cracked pipe is the least likely scenario.
I have the handy Del60 DE filter..the filter is currently taken apart and the multiport valve is in recirc...I vacuum to waste to get it out..if I keep it off right after, stays clean..when I put it back on recirc. .(bypassing filter) its dirt in pool and spa..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.