Silver Supporter
Aug 5, 2020
Katy
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Good morning. Has anyone had long term success with those digital water testers that you leave in the water and it sends results to your phone? Is the accuracy similar to the Taylor test kit? TIA.

Nearly all of those devices are identical and none are worth the price.

Let's start with the positive: they have a pH meter and thermometer. These should be accurate and relatively reliable.

Now the bad: The only other sensor on these are ORP. This is an especially inaccurate way to measure chlorine levels and in practice will give very unreliable readings. ORP levels are very susceptible to CYA so in an outdoor pool it is all but worthless.

And the ugly: Those three sensors are all that's on these things. You don't get any other readings sent to your phone. How are you supposed to get the others? That would be test strips. The most unreliable method of them all.

So the only thing on these that will come close to the accuracy or reliability required would be the pH test and you can get a digital pH meter for under $20. These things are all pretty gimmicky and more flash than substance.

Nearly all of those devices are identical and none are worth the price.

Let's start with the positive: they have a pH meter and thermometer. These should be accurate and relatively reliable.

Now the bad: The only other sensor on these are ORP. This is an especially inaccurate way to measure chlorine levels and in practice will give very unreliable readings. ORP levels are very susceptible to CYA so in an outdoor pool it is all but worthless.

And the ugly: Those three sensors are all that's on these things. You don't get any other readings sent to your phone. How are you supposed to get the others? That would be test strips. The most unreliable method of them all.

So the only thing on these that will come close to the accuracy or reliability required would be the pH test and you can get a digital pH meter for under $20. These things are all pretty gimmicky and more flash than substance.
Appreciate the insight. Will stick with the Taylor test kits

The WaterGuru unit uses a chemical pad and optical sensors to read it. The Sutro uses reagents. I’m playing with WaterGuru now, still within the 45 day return period. I’m not impressed. FC levels are consistently 1ppm below my Taylor tests, the flow sensor seems to be defective as I get as low flow alerts despite my pump running, clear debris basket, and plenty of flow past the sensor. It seems to have plenty of issues with WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity as it sometimes completely misses checking in at its scheduled test time, and on demand tests take anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours regardless of how you connect to the unit.
I’m working with their support but I’m likely to send this unit back unless they can fix the issues. I’m interested in trying Sutro but it’s very expensive.
Phin has an ORP sensor which is going to make it unreliable for measuring chlorine.

Last edited:
Reactions: tim5055
The WaterGuru unit uses a chemical pad and optical sensors to read it. The Sutro uses reagents. I’m playing with WaterGuru now, still within the 45 day return period. I’m not impressed. FC levels are consistently 1ppm below my Taylor tests, the flow sensor seems to be defective as I get as low flow alerts despite my pump running, clear debris basket, and plenty of flow past the sensor. It seems to have plenty of issues with WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity as it sometimes completely misses checking in at its scheduled test time, and on demand tests take anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours regardless of how you connect to the unit.
I’m working with their support but I’m likely to send this unit back unless they can fix the issues. I’m interested in trying Sutro but it’s very expensive.
Phin has an ORP sensor which is going to make it unreliable for measuring chlorine.

I am demoing a Sutro unit currently, they sent us one to test. We don't do any service/water chemistry but this would be great for monitoring new plaster installations during the initial cure period. There have been some hiccups (air getting trapped under the water intake area), and the service company is reporting different pH than the unit - but their app, connectivity, and ease of use has been great.

I was told they would be coming out with a new unit within a year or so which will have the same testing capabilities as a spinlab.

I was told they would be coming out with a new unit within a year or so which will have the same testing capabilities as a spinlab.
When they have one that will match drop based test kit using Taylor reagents, we can talk.

Reactions: MAPR-Austin
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.