Digging a deep center

It is my understanding that they were just the 1st to offer it & it’s accompanying expandable liner. There are several other manufacturers that sell expandable liners now. I know radiant pools boast the option of deep ends & dish outs.
A normal liner can be stretched to dish out a few inches (6”-8”) but anything greater than that you would need an expandable liner.
The water holds the walls of the pool up- so long as the liner fits (isn’t too small) & doesn’t pull on the walls they should be fine.
What you’re describing is a dish out - many have done it with non doughboy pools.

Reactions: magiteck
It is my understanding that they were just the 1st to offer it & it’s accompanying expandable liner. There are several other manufacturers that sell expandable liners now. I know radiant pools boast the option of deep ends & dish outs.
A normal liner can be stretched to dish out a few inches (6”-8”) but anything greater than that you would need an expandable liner.
The water holds the walls of the pool up- so long as the liner fits (isn’t too small) & doesn’t pull on the walls they should be fine.
What you’re describing is a dish out - many have done it with non doughboy pools.
Thanks for the info! I really would like that dugout center and if I can safely get it with a less expensive pool than that maybe the way I go. But then again the quality of a doughboy is appealing too! I’ve got awhile to contemplate it :/

Reactions: Mdragger88
My dad had a 6' deep center in an above ground pool in 1986 and as far as I know it wasn't a Doughboy pool. It had brass eagles on the caps, that's about all I remember.

From what he's told me it was just a normal pool with a special liner he ordered, which I assume means expandable. He also loved having a main drain right at the center in the deepest spot as it made most of the dirt and leaves go that way automatically.

My dad had a 6' deep center in an above ground pool in 1986 and as far as I know it wasn't a Doughboy pool. It had brass eagles on the caps, that's about all I remember.

From what he's told me it was just a normal pool with a special liner he ordered, which I assume means expandable. He also loved having a main drain right at the center in the deepest spot as it made most of the dirt and leaves go that way automatically.
Thanks!! Yes we had an inground years back so of course it had the main drain and I like that idea of the main drain in an above ground!! Food for thought!

I like that idea of the main drain in an above ground
I'm one of the few here who is pro-drains. In an aboveground, I think I would hate them the 98% of the time that I stubbed toes on them and not appreciate the 2% of the time they come in handy.

I am not thrilled with the main drain choice in an above ground pool. Mainly because of the winterizing factor- it complicates what would normally be a very simple unhook & plug process which is one of my favorite aspects of an above ground pool. In an inground you already have to blow out the lines so one more isn’t an issue.
There’s also the leaking potential- its the reason many inground folks choose to omit one. Every penetration in the liner is a potential leak.
I like keeping it simple.
I have 2 returns in my pool, 1 in the normal spot & 1 around a foot off the floor. While it’s nice to have the extra circulation the thing is a pain to deal with & get to. I will be having to replace its gasket this spring & I am not looking forward to it.

Reactions: Newdude
There’s also the leaking potential- its the reason many inground folks choose to omit one. Every penetration in the liner is a potential leak.
Agree 100%, but with vinyl pools, it's only a matter of time until they need a new liner and the plumbing is accessible. Plaster/fiberglass pools will never get that light at the end of the tunnel.

Besides, starting new, it should be fine for 25+years. (Statistically speaking).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am not thrilled with the main drain choice in an above ground pool. Mainly because of the winterizing factor- it complicates what would normally be a very simple unhook & plug process which is one of my favorite aspects of an above ground pool. In an inground you already have to blow out the lines so one more isn’t an issue.
I like keeping it simple.
I have 2 returns in my pool, 1 in the normal spot & 1 around a foot off the floor. While it’s nice to have the extra circulation the thing is a pain to deal with & get to. I will be having to replace its gasket this spring & I am not looking forward to it.
My dad ran 1 1/2 polyethylene pipe to it.

It was never winterized, not even once and it was there from 1986-1998. It used to form a slug of ice in the end of the exposed pipe that stuck out of the ground at the height he kept the water at in the winter. No ice ever formed near the drain it self as it's way too deep

From what I watched him do, which was simply drain the pull for winter a few increases via the main drain and then pull the valve and barbed fitting off the polyethylene, there wasn't much work there

In fact id argue it made winterizing easier and faster because of being able to use the pump to drain below the skimmer.

The strength straight polyethylene without a fitting didn't mind freezing at all. Not even a little

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.