Dig starts Tuesday 6/16/20

luma7

Gold Supporter
Jun 3, 2020
Baldwin County, AL
The PB called last night. I explained my concerns. I told him that I had sent pictures of the before and after elevation to a structural engineer and the engineer recommended that it be handled differently because settling is likely to be different between the transition area and the areas without all those bags. I told him that we cannot be ready for gunite when part of the cage is still down in the dirt that my understanding is there needs to be a minimum of 3 in between the dirt and the cage. I also asked about the rebar being tied in up the sides. Explained that we were very uncomfortable with how things were going and wanted some way of handling that we didn't have a crack in the future. He said they've done this kind of elevation change for years and never had a problem, never had a crack. His statement is that the area will be stronger because there's two sets of rebar. I told him there's no way for the gunite to get to the second set of rebar at the bottom which means that's just going to rust out. He said it would be decades before it would rust out. Once it does, it would be no different than just having regular bags of sand up against the dirt which also hasn't cracked when they've done it. He apologized for my feelings (?) And said they'll be here at 6:30 this morning to dig out the deep end so they can have at least 3 in of rebar in the deep end. The gunite crew will start at the shallow end where there are no issues. The PB will be making corrections in the deep end. They have some way of dealing with the water that still standing in the bottom of the deep end and say that will not impact gunite. I didn't really understand what he was talking about they said they do it all the time. He said he would be the first one to stop the job if he was uncomfortable in any way. So, I cannot say that they are not listening because he spent some time on the phone with me last night. However, everything I try to say he has an answer for. At this point the only two options that I see are to fire this contractor and try to get a different one or to move forward. I just cannot imagine losing the money we've already put into it with this contractor and having a massive hole in our yard for months while we go through whatever litigation or arbitration that would require. And, frankly, we have just enough money to finish the project. I assume that hiring another builder would cost me more. So I think we're just going to have to gunite and go with it. I hate that, and I appreciate all the feedback and suggestions that you guys have had. I am out of solutions but open if anyone has any.

luma7

Gold Supporter
Jun 3, 2020
Baldwin County, AL
Gunite is done. Some picture attached. The west wall of the deep end caved in and they had to shoot it again. Otherwise, things went well. They put us a tent and the house and deck are still covered in overshoot. PB says his guys will remove it. Now we water the shell for a week. Next Tuesday is rough grade for the surround.

Attachments

luma7

Gold Supporter
Jun 3, 2020
Baldwin County, AL
We've been watering the shell. At this point, we have so much water in the deep end, part of our sprinkler is under water. We're going to pump some out this afternoon.

Rough grade work completed yesterday. Travertine prep and waterline tile are on the schedule for next week. Our initial design did not have walkway around the back half of the pool because they did not think we'd have enough dirt from the dig to level that area. Since they dug too deep, now we have plenty of dirt so we will have them put a little 2' walkway all around the pool. With the 1' coping it will be a 3' total width walk way. The katchakid net we plan to use for the pool will be able to secure to the walkway instead of the coping which makes me happy.

We have rebar sticking out of the back of the fountain and a really low area in the shallow end that holds water. Other than that, things look good to us novices. We expect both of those items will be fixed with cement.

We did not plan to have tile on the steps but the more pictures we look at the more we think having a little line of tile at the edge of steps 2, 3, and 4 will provide more visibility for where to step down. So now we're looking at tile. I'm intrigued at the idea of breaking of a few squares of this Martini Tanzanite Natural tile and using the lighter colored pieces. The tile is 1x2 so we could have 2" between each tile. Might be nice.

Ya'll all have a safe and happy 4th!

Attachments

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Since they dug too deep, now we have plenty of dirt so we will have them put a little 2' walkway all around the pool. With the 1' coping it will be a 3' total width walk way. The katchakid net we plan to use for the pool will be able to secure to the walkway instead of the coping which makes me happy.
SCORE! Funny how things work out like that!

LOVE the idea of that tile being on your steps! That is so pretty!