Dig Day!! Done - now Gunite...twice? in the 30’s, after rain?

3asyB

Silver Supporter
Jan 7, 2019
CSTX
Well I found out at 3pm they were going to excavate today. Got home and saw they dug the width a foot narrow and length a foot long, contract was not updated properly.

Reached out to pb, 30 minutes later they said they would be there tomorrow and use mini-ex to fix width.

Pays to to deal with a reputable builder.

We’re rookies, learning as we go.

(working on signature)

Last edited:
Re: Dig Day!!! - they dug it the wrong size!

:shock: WHAT?????????? This has nothing to do with being a rookie. This has to do with lack of proper communication from the PB to the trades. It sounds like he is going to make it right so that is good.

It looks like you already did your first "job" on the pool build-measure after they dig. Well done! Now you have another big job. Go the PB office and get your hands on all copies of the contract and plans. Destroy any plans that are not correct and make sure all copies of the contract are correct. That makes sure this does not happen with any other trades.

Are they going to let you keep the extra length without charging you extra? Does the extra size mess with property lines or such? Do you have an set back rules?

I can almost see your face when you figured out what happened. How many times did you measure thinking "this is not right"??

Kim:kim:

Great idea on making sure the old plans are destroyed and the new ones are updated and re-distributed. Didn’t even think about how it affects the other trades.

The issue was probably partly mine, we originally started with the smaller size and when I requested to change it he said as long as perimeter stays the same price would not go up, so I told him in an email to adjust the size 1 foot wider and shorte it by 1 foot. I never had him officially change the contract. I will definitely get the contract revised today

I would assume they are going to leave the length as it is, I actually didn’t pull the tape I just rolled up and thought it looked a little narrow and sure enough the superintendent confirmed that it was drawn up narrow. It’s pretty muddy but I need to get a tape measure out and check sunshelf, it looks off as well.

0B65B106-723C-4216-9970-1EF1706212F1.jpg

Nice on getting a bigger pool than expected!

It won't be the last mistake you find, but your PB will appreciate knowing about them as early as possible to reduce his/her expenses. An involved homeowner saves a PB money - not in a perfect world, but in the real world.

Well my signature is complete, almost.

Still need a color, minor detail right.

Also I need to figure out what a cyclonic cartridge filtration system is. Other than that and a couple of minor setbacks were rolling!!

Specs look ok?

Attachments

• 92B707AD-CE2A-4E31-B414-E1E1B004CC42.jpg
    92B707AD-CE2A-4E31-B414-E1E1B004CC42.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 91
"cyclonic cartridge filtration system"-yeah need to get with them and ask the make and model for this creature. This wording is new to me. We need more info to make sure it is big enough!

Plaster color-don't sweat it too much. I am going to show you a pic of a BLUE plaster pool:
dbtgallery.php
I think this is just over a year old plaster. This pool was a TFP from it's birth. This a part of the spa that had a slight crack in it so it was repaired under warranty. I use it to show how the plaster changes color over time.

I will also tell you that the darker colors can streak and mottle if they plaster crew is not the top shelf kind.

Cyclonic

It’s a pre - filter between pump & cartridge filter.

I have a friend who installs them on all his builds.

For some reason 2 Australian companies are always trying to sell them to me.

I enjoy the accents when they call & they like when I call them mate.

One shipped me a “try-me” unit, maybe I’ll get off my lazy chair & install it in my pool this spring.

The pics are not of my pool unfortunately as I would LOVE to have the house and pool! I just borrow the pic, with the members permission, to show how plaster color does change.

I like your idea above! We had one member do just that and it came out GREAT! He added extra rocks and even picked through them to take out the colors he did not want. Here is a link to his build: Vegas OB! Just got plans back and need some feedback (pics included :) ) - Page 31 go to a page or two up and down from this page to see what all he did. For a fun read start a page 1! We had a blast on this build!! I also have another link to a thread he started about picking stones: What color glass beads give the water a more vibrant sparkly blue. Need help asap :).)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am going to need to keep it to a basic color of the stonescapes minipebble.

My budget is beyond blown.

I’m thinking aqua blue or tropics blue.

I like the true deep blue, also want to keep it just light enough to see critters in the bottom. We’re in the woods.

No green shades.

Any good pics or videos of these two colors?

You know what I am going to plan to do on my summer break?? I am going to go through my fav builds and make notes of the color of the plaster and make a thread just for showing off the colors and how they were achieved.

Right now I cannot recall if there are any builds with those colors :( I did a basic google search and both of them look so pretty in those pics! It would be hard to pick between them from those pics!!

Well the excavation crew showed back up today to take 6 inches off each side I proposed taking all of it on one side would be easier for them but make the pool unsymmetrical, my proposal was take 2 feet off one side and don’t mess with the other. more money in Gunite and other materials for them for but cheaper on the revised excavation now. they decided they were good with that so I’ll have a 17 x 34, in lieu of a 15x34, then a 16x34. hot tub will be off-center. What do you think?

I TOTALLY agree with taking it all off the far side. If they take any off the house side it will be too close to the house in my eyes. The spa being off center will not be a big deal and I like it as it gives you a bigger "swim lane" that way. Win-win in the long run!

Well I’m out of town and they decided to get the gunite done.

Rained last night, they said they applied a thin layer of gunite late yesterday after the drizzle before the 8 hour down pour.

Today it’s not raining but it’s 35 degrees. Showed up to begin pumping water and are planning to shoot gunite after it’s pumped.

Ever hear of anything like this?

So there will be a cold joint between shotcrete pours? I'm not a structural engineer but I think there should be something applied to ensure that it bonds and forms a monolithic shell. There are lots of products on the market to accomplish this. Take a look at the general structural engineering notes on the plans -- may state requirements. If you're into technical reading, I'm sure the ACI would have a recommendation on how this should be handled.

This is before and after the “thin layer” of gunite.

Attachments

• E556FC35-CCA2-48C0-88D2-69572D0CE2DF.jpeg
    E556FC35-CCA2-48C0-88D2-69572D0CE2DF.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 31
  • D0A86304-873E-4793-BEA8-A3F217C7563E.jpeg
    D0A86304-873E-4793-BEA8-A3F217C7563E.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 30
OP your pool will be fine with proper concrete placement.
Pneumatically placed concrete and “cold joints” are greatly misunderstood.

Bonding agents create more problems when shooting in stages, performance comes from cement engulfing the clean surfaces - whether first stage has cured or not.

Reactions: ajw22
Thanks for the pics. It doesn't appear that much progress was made on the shotcrete operation part 1. Most of your cage is still exposed with proper clearances to earth/existing shotcrete. Agree with CT's take.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.