Difficulty increasing CH

sportspool

Jun 21, 2019
Colleyville, TX
This is my first post but have been a lurker for years... TFP has been such a help over the last 6 years of pool ownership. So thankful for you all...

~20k gallon pool was replastered this past summer. PebbleSheen finish which is great... love it.

Current readings:
FC 3.5
TC 0.0
PH 7.7
TA 70
CH 140
CYA 40

My PH is almost always stable at 7.7. I am only adding chlorine weekly (maybe biweekly now that winter has taken hold) at this point. We do use the spa. Rather than funding MA to drive ph toward 7.4 I’ve resigned myself to letting the pool be where it wants at 7.7. I can get it lower than 7.7 but it seems to want to rise up to 7.7 and wants to stay there. I’ll likely revisit where I let it stay this next season.

Here is my problem since the remodel:
I have not been able to increase my CH. It’s been as low as 120 and have never really seen it higher than 150. I’m not doing any water additions other than rain at this point. I’m having a hard time understanding why I cannot increase my CH despite adding about 75 pound of calcium chloride over the past 5-6 months. I’ve just added 25 pounds of calcium chloride this weekend and the test only indicates a movement from 120 to 140. I’m also using test strips to read the CH in case my test kit isn’t accurate. The test strips indicate the same reading. I obviously have concerns about keeping a low CH level but am unsure how to move an otherwise stubborn pool.

Any advice? Should I not be this concerned? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum.

If you add calcium, it is in the water. Unless you have significant overflow due to water entering the pool that does not have calcium in it (such as rain).

25 pounds of calcium chloride will raise your calcium by 135ppm in the stated size pool.

How old are the reagents you are using to test calcium?

Thank you. It was a new kit purchased this year, but I suppose I don’t know how old the reagents really are. I was trying to mitigate that risk with the additional testing with the separate strips. Both methods of testing validate the other readings.

I suppose I will have to look at purchasing new reagents and see if there is any change. I just can’t fathom where the CH is going.

What CH product are you using? Where did you buy it? Have you mixed a test solution in a 5 gallon bucket to confirm the chemical is good?

I am using a Lamotte ColorQ 11 and then generic strips to support those readings.

I have been purchasing Calcium Hardness increase from Leslies. Several purchases over a six month period. Good idea to check product in a bucket. I have not done that but hard to believe they’ve all been bad. It must be something so good idea to try. Thank you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OUCH! SO glad you found TFP and we were able to point you in the right direction!

Please remember that this draining will also decrease your CYA. Look in my siggy below for recommend levels. I printed it out and have it in my test kit for fast reference.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: sportspool
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.