Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Does anyone definitively know the difference between the two Pentair (CCP520) filters?
The two part numbers are:
EC-160332

The EC version is about $200.00 more expensive than the non-EC version...

The best that I can find is that the EC possibly has a better warranty or something to that fact? Not sure I have that right however..

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!!
r.

Last edited:
Found this
MODEL # EC-160332

WARRANTY ECOMMERCE (EC) PRODUCTS: PRODUCTS PURCHASED FROM AN AUTHORIZED PENTAIR ONLINE RESELLER (PRODUCTS BEGINNING WITH EC-) RECEIVE A ONE (1) YEAR (PARTS ONLY) WARRANTY FROM THE DATE OF PURCHASE. THE EXCEPTIONS ARE: INTELLICHLOR CELLS AND INTELLIFLO SVRS PUMPS WHICH RECEIVE A TWO (2) YEAR WARRANTY. EC PRODUCTS ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THE BUNDLED THREE (3) YEAR EXTENDED WARRANTY.

Reactions: MyAZPool
When replacing filter cartridges, my experience is there is very little difference between brands. The less expensive generic brand seem to perform equal to the OEM, (unlike SWG cells where nothing seems equal to OEM).

Found this
MODEL # EC-160332

WARRANTY ECOMMERCE (EC) PRODUCTS: PRODUCTS PURCHASED FROM AN AUTHORIZED PENTAIR ONLINE RESELLER (PRODUCTS BEGINNING WITH EC-) RECEIVE A ONE (1) YEAR (PARTS ONLY) WARRANTY FROM THE DATE OF PURCHASE. THE EXCEPTIONS ARE: INTELLICHLOR CELLS AND INTELLIFLO SVRS PUMPS WHICH RECEIVE A TWO (2) YEAR WARRANTY. EC PRODUCTS ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THE BUNDLED THREE (3) YEAR EXTENDED WARRANTY.
So if one were just buying the filter and not bundling other Pentair products etc, why would it make any sense to buy the EC version which I assume is the exact same filter as the non-EC filter?

Last edited:
When replacing filter cartridges, my experience is there is very little difference between brands. The less expensive generic brand seem to perform equal to the OEM, (unlike SWG cells where nothing seems equal to OEM).
Well, good to know Chief. Hopefully, I won't need to replace the cartridges for a while but i will remember that. Thanks again!

I would "assume" they are distinguishing between dealers that do installs and dealers that just sell online. By giving it a slightly different number they can help their dealers get a little more and to close the gap in prices.

I would "assume" they are distinguishing between dealers that do installs and dealers that just sell online. By giving it a slightly different number they can help their dealers get a little more and to close the gap in prices.
Hmmm.. Thanks much and that makes sense. Crazy marketing schemes. Sure sounds like something Pentair would come up with. :rolleyes:
Thanks again..
r.

So if one were just buying the filter and not bundling other Pentair products etc, why would it make any sense to buy the EC version which I assume is the exact same filter as the non-EC filter
Because until the supply chain went totally haywire the EC models were way cheaper than the brick and mortar stores. They were $100 more than the online discount retailers that normally carried no extended warranty. So Pentair charged $100 for the warranty upgrade and made E-commerce models qualify.

But. Then the world went south and equipment prices are like airline tickets now and change by the hour. They will eventually go back to being cheaper.

Because until the supply chain went totally haywire the EC models were way cheaper than the brick and mortar stores. They were $100 more than the online discount retailers that normally carried no extended warranty. So Pentair charged $100 for the warranty upgrade and made E-commerce models qualify.

But. Then the world went south and equipment prices are like airline tickets now and change by the hour. They will eventually go back to being cheaper.
Hmm. I see. Well, since everything I can tell, both versions are the exact same filter and so I guess the best move would to buy whichever version is cheapest at the time of purchase.
I can't really see what can go wrong with that cartridge filter over the long haul. Either it works correctly after a proper install or it doesn't.
Thanks much!!
r.

Reactions: Newdude
I installed a CCP420 12 years ago. Replaced a sand filter. Really easy to install, not much maintenance. But then again I only use it 5-6 months a year. I only open in at the end on the season to remove the cartridges, bubbler and o-ring (replaced only once). Gauge on top is a joke.

One thing, and I'm sure it applies to sand filters also. The fiberglass top gets dry and if I rest my arm or hand on it I get tiny splitters, very painful. I seem to forget this every year.

Reactions: Neil1b

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hmm. I see. Well, since everything I can tell, both versions are the exact same filter and so I guess the best move would to buy whichever version is cheapest at the time of purchase
Once the cartridges are put in service I imagine they are considered wear and tear parts and you’d be hard pressed to get them replaced if you had any troubles anyway.

So the EC rating for the cartridges themselves probably doesn’t mean anything at all in reality.

If you're doing a DIY install, you get a 60-day warranty on the filter. If purchased from authorized E-Commerce (online) retailer, you get the 60-day warranty in addition to a one-year warranty on parts only. Try to buy from an EC retailer if you can. How does this compare to the prices you've seen?

"Free" shipping is not included on the non-EC filter. Freight shipping to my home is $145. That brings to the total to $1,285.90, an actual savings of about $44. For $44, you get "free" shipping and a one-year parts warranty.

If you're doing a DIY install, you get a 60-day warranty on the filter. If purchased from authorized E-Commerce (online) retailer, you get the 60-day warranty in addition to a one-year warranty on parts only. Try to buy from an EC retailer if you can. How does this compare to the prices you've seen?
@Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
That is exactly the site that I was looking at as well. And yes, I did see where the EC was $200.00 more on the base price and also saw where the non-EC version has a shipping charge where the EC version is free shipping.

So the bottom line is this...

EC-160332 - $1,329.00 (no shipping charge).
160332 - $1,140.90 + 145.00 = 1,285.90

So, it looks as though the EC version with the 1-year warranty on parts will cost an additional $45.00... Could very well be worth the extra $45.00... :unsure:
Thanks...
r.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
I would call for availability before you commit.
Good point considering the supply chain issues at the moment.
I'm planning to replace my very old commercial Triton II TR-100C sand filter but not until sometime in the winter. But I'm also thinking that purchasing now may be a wise choice since who knows what the prices might be when I'm ready to make the switch in several months from now. :unsure:
Thanks...
r.

So, based on the advice above, I decided to pull the trigger on a new Pentair Clear & Clean Plus 520 (CCP520) (EC-160332). Based on all of the recommendations on TFP, and the filter info presented in the latest TFP Expert Discussion - Pumps, Filters, Heaters, I know I made the right decision and can't wait to get the new filter into operation.

Although I don't plan on replacing my old sand filter until this coming winter, I thought it might be wise to get a jump on possible inflation-based price increases while making sure that I can still get one while their still available.

The best price I could find was at Pool Supply Unlimited. It was on sale and there was free shipping on this model. I placed the order on Sunday 7/18 and was pretty shocked when the freight truck pulled up today (Tuesday).
EB05AA76-4AE2-4441-BD71-113634996ECB_1_105_c.jpeg

I already ordered the bottom mount glycerin filled pressure gauge from TFTestKits.net since I'm pretty sure the cheap plastic pressure gauge that comes stock with the cartridge filter is fairly sub-standard.

Now, I just need to do the necessary and dreaded "plumbing surgery" this winter. :rolleyes:
r.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.