DFW Texas Pool & Spa Build (Round 2)

No need to run pump all day or even very much

My VS pump runs on pretty low speed 1500 rpm for about 4 hours a day and the SWG runs at 60% and the water is clear the chlorine is right
Cleaner runs for 2 hours a day

Your mileage may vary but no need to wear out the equipment running it 24x7

So got my test kit yay!! But I'm trying to chlorine drop test to get my FC as my chlorine is 5+. I'm at 50 drops and it hasn't turned clear yet....is this normal? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay well I eventually got it to turn clear at 76 drops LOL! Anywhere here's what I've got for today, my first full test (side note my pb service team came and added "stuff" on 8/16 but didn't say what AND the autofill is going crazy and my pool is filled almost to the bottom of the coping. So i turned the autofill off and waiting for them to come check it out tomorrow. Here are the numbers:

Chlorine: +5?
PH: 6.8 (this was around 7.2 - 7.8 before when I was using the kit the provided, but this was before this auto fill issue so not sure if that plays a role along w/ a little rain but not much)
Chlorine Drop FC?: 37.5 (76 drops x .5), can this be right?!?!?
CC: 0
TA: 150 (blue to yellow)
CYA: 90-100 hard to tell
Salt: 3400-3600ppm

So I guess I have to keep letting them do their thing before I start adding or doing the TFP way.

No need to run pump all day or even very much

My VS pump runs on pretty low speed 1500 rpm for about 4 hours a day and the SWG runs at 60% and the water is clear the chlorine is right
Cleaner runs for 2 hours a day

Your mileage may vary but no need to wear out the equipment running it 24x7

Yes, after all the recommendations I changed mine to run for 8hrs a day @ 1750rpm, but I plan to turn it down lower and play w/ the SWG% as well. Only thing I miss is when its not around 2250rpm+ is the nice spa spill over effect.

My PB has Spa Mode and Filter Pump mode to come in from 6am - 7am and the pump is running at max for that hour. Whats the difference between Spa Mode and Pump mode both being on and why would he be running it at max for an hour? I thought during the filter pump it was filtering the spa as well anyway? Maybe not?

This thread has been a wealth of information, but it's LONG and I have a few questions that I didn't see answered in the thread:

1. When you say robotic cleaners, are these both considered robotic cleaners? We ordered the first one (polaris robot 550) but am considering trading it in for the second one since it's much cheaper (polaris 380). We ordered in pool contract but wish I would've bought it myself because it's so much cheaper!
Amazon.com : Polaris 9550 Sport Robotic In-Ground Pool Cleaner : Patio, Lawn Garden
Amazon.com : Polaris Vac-Sweep 380 Pressure Side Pool Cleaner : Swimming Pool Pressure Cleaners : Patio, Lawn Garden

2. Nicheless Lights--we considered going with this but our PB thought regular LED would be fine and we didn't have any examples to see of the nicheless ones. Is there really much difference in these? Can anyone explain the differences? Our electrical hasn't been done yet, but pool is gunited. Is it too late to change even if we wanted to?

3. Pool Surface--I missed what the surface of OP's pool is, but looks like mini-pebble. Is that right? I am struggling between mini-pebble and quartz. Like the look of mini-pebble and the feel of quartz.

4. Ozone--Is there anyone on this board that thinks this is good? We already paid for it before I found TFP, so I would love to think we're getting something for our money. The reason we got it was that a different PB loved it and said he could never get his pool chemistry right when they had big parties in their pool and after he got the ozone, the chemistry was much easier to maintain. So that's why we decided to go with it.

This thread has been a wealth of information, but it's LONG and I have a few questions that I didn't see answered in the thread:

1. When you say robotic cleaners, are these both considered robotic cleaners? We ordered the first one (polaris robot 550) but am considering trading it in for the second one since it's much cheaper (polaris 380). We ordered in pool contract but wish I would've bought it myself because it's so much cheaper!
Amazon.com : Polaris 9550 Sport Robotic In-Ground Pool Cleaner : Patio, Lawn Garden
Amazon.com : Polaris Vac-Sweep 380 Pressure Side Pool Cleaner : Swimming Pool Pressure Cleaners : Patio, Lawn Garden

2. Nicheless Lights--we considered going with this but our PB thought regular LED would be fine and we didn't have any examples to see of the nicheless ones. Is there really much difference in these? Can anyone explain the differences? Our electrical hasn't been done yet, but pool is gunited. Is it too late to change even if we wanted to?

3. Pool Surface--I missed what the surface of OP's pool is, but looks like mini-pebble. Is that right? I am struggling between mini-pebble and quartz. Like the look of mini-pebble and the feel of quartz.

4. Ozone--Is there anyone on this board that thinks this is good? We already paid for it before I found TFP, so I would love to think we're getting something for our money. The reason we got it was that a different PB loved it and said he could never get his pool chemistry right when they had big parties in their pool and after he got the ozone, the chemistry was much easier to maintain. So that's why we decided to go with it.

The Polaris 9550 is a robot and the 380 is a pressure side cleaner. The 380 will basically stay in the pool and run when the pump/booster pump is on. The 9550 you put on when you need to clean and take out so you don't have to see the hose floating in the pool when not in use. That was my main reason for going with the robot along with it being more efficient.

Nichless lights I think look cleaner. They're small and hardly noticeable but you will need more than the traditional LED lights. My pool needed 4 to light it up vs the traditional could have got away with 1 or 2 at the most. Really personal preference I think. Also if you have a free form pool the Nichless can be placed in areas where the pools curve so you don't have any dark spots.

It's mini pebble, I wanted the durability of the pebble and I like the look better as well. It feels actually great on the feet, however you may have to get used to it if you have sensitive feet.

Ozone on here is not recommended as it basically does nothing for outdoor pools. If you do a search on here you'll find it's basically a waste of cash. I went with a SWG personally and saved about 2k.

Hope that helps some! I'm still new to everything myself :)

The Polaris 9550 is a robot and the 380 is a pressure side cleaner. The 380 will basically stay in the pool and run when the pump/booster pump is on. The 9550 you put on when you need to clean and take out so you don't have to see the hose floating in the pool when not in use. That was my main reason for going with the robot along with it being more efficient.

Nichless lights I think look cleaner. They're small and hardly noticeable but you will need more than the traditional LED lights. My pool needed 4 to light it up vs the traditional could have got away with 1 or 2 at the most. Really personal preference I think. Also if you have a free form pool the Nichless can be placed in areas where the pools curve so you don't have any dark spots.

It's mini pebble, I wanted the durability of the pebble and I like the look better as well. It feels actually great on the feet, however you may have to get used to it if you have sensitive feet.

Ozone on here is not recommended as it basically does nothing for outdoor pools. If you do a search on here you'll find it's basically a waste of cash. I went with a SWG personally and saved about 2k.

Hope that helps some! I'm still new to everything myself :)

Thank you! You helped explain the robotic cleaners. Sounds like the robot is the one to keep. I am going to check into the nichless lights. We did regular chlorine, not SWG, since we have tons of stone around the pool and deck. I think they've already installed the ozone (they've put in all the equipment) so I think we are stuck with the ozone system, that's why I was hoping we were getting SOMETHING for our money.

Thank you! You helped explain the robotic cleaners. Sounds like the robot is the one to keep. I am going to check into the nichless lights. We did regular chlorine, not SWG, since we have tons of stone around the pool and deck. I think they've already installed the ozone (they've put in all the equipment) so I think we are stuck with the ozone system, that's why I was hoping we were getting SOMETHING for our money.

Also if you go for the nichless lights for the pool area I would make sure they do the 30w and not the 20w or 9w versions as they probably won't be bright enough for your liking.

Had pool school yesterday. Was pretty basic to say the least but not sure what I expected from that route. They have to put a new check valve in so they'll be doing that this coming week.

Question, so I tried to run the spa just to make sure it works, I could tell the hot water was going in but then I also felt the hot water going out into the pool and it was only in spa mode. So I wonder with how it's setup if the spa water is filtered back into the pool would I need to turn the filter pump off while running the spa? Or maybe that's part of the issue with needing the check valve? Confused!

I also have the pump set at 1500rpm running from 8am - 7am. That's how it was setup they advised running so low be the same as running for 8 hours or so on a faster speed. I guess I can pull up the GPM for the speeds on Jandys website and do the math, I only need 1 turnover a day as far as the water goes from what I read right?

Also fence got put in yesterday and it came out awesome!

b7705a4081dc689d8907fc6e58d2e438.jpg

I really love what they've done with the tile in your spa!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Testing the pool again and numbers still way off from where the suggested figures are. However the PB is "taking care" of the pool for 3 more weeks so I guess I need to let them finish before I start going in an adding everything and them adding stuff that could be counter productive.

Figures for today:
FC 29.5
CC 0
CH 375
TA 140
CYA 70
Salt 3400

Seems like everything is pretty good w/ the exception of the FC and TA. Pool math suggest adding almost 6 gallons of bleach, and 247oz of baking soda....that seems like a lot! However I'm sure once everything is balanced out it wouldn't be that excessive going forward? Also adding all of that at the same time is that okay? Or should do half the recommended then re-test and add additional?

Testing the pool again and numbers still way off from where the suggested figures are. However the PB is "taking care" of the pool for 3 more weeks so I guess I need to let them finish before I start going in an adding everything and them adding stuff that could be counter productive. very true, sad but true. They hold the warranty card. We have had some PO that were able to talk their PB into letting them prove they could do the test and add the stuff needed. This is few and far between.

Figures for today:
FC 29.5
CC 0
CH 375
TA 140
CYA 70
Salt 3400

Seems like everything is pretty good w/ the exception of the FC and TA. Pool math suggest adding almost 6 gallons of bleach,???? Something has to be off with what was put into Pool Math as your FC is already high and 6 gallons would push it REAL high! and 247oz of baking soda....that seems like a lot! However I'm sure once everything is balanced out it wouldn't be that excessive going forward? Also adding all of that at the same time is that okay? Or should do half the recommended then re-test and add additional?The only thing that takes some time to show on the tests is CYA. Once it is dissolved and mixed in good (overnight or all day of pump runnning) it shows on the test. Everything else you can add 1/2 for the first few times as you learn your pool and how it reacts. Do NOT add muriatic acid and chlorine at the same time. Wait about 15 mins. between these two. Everything else plays well together.

:kim:

Any reason to have small water bugs and ants in the pool after a rain storm for a couple days?

https://vimeo.com/179671991

Easily solved with a small sign that says "No Bugs/ Ants". For 100% protection, the sign should be in Spanish too - dont want those No Habla Ingles bugs and ants either.

Kidding aside - I did not see any bugs or ants in your vimeo video...

Easily solved with a small sign that says "No Bugs/ Ants". For 100% protection, the sign should be in Spanish too - dont want those No Habla Ingles bugs and ants either.

Kidding aside - I did not see any bugs or ants in your vimeo video...

Haha if only that would work! Probably because I spent a couple hours getting them out before o took the little video. Also turning on the decents and higher pump speed to get the water moving it seemed to help. Went out this morning and there's only a few water bugs and no ants that I could see. Figured with the amount of chlorine in there that stuff would die or avoid the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.