Developed sensitivity to chlorine

Just read this:
Calcium chloride is added to pools to keep the water hard. This protects the surfaces of the pool from corrosion. Some researchTrusted Sourcesuggests that calcium in hard water may damage the skin barrier, increasing skin dryness and irritation.

Not sure if that’s the issue but maybe try to keep ur CH on the lower recommended end like 250. Anyone have any other thoughts.

Interesting... A few months ago my CH touched 500 but ever since, I keep it around 400-425 on average. I checked just now and it's at 375. I'll let that creep back down to 300-350 and see if that helps.

Won't do it though until I maintain the pH at 7.2 and see if that helps. Don't want to start chasing too many numbers all over then have no idea what did what. lol

I don't think that it is from calcium

Maybe a skin infection that only flares up when the skin absorbs a lot of water which won't happen in a shower, but it can happen in the pool.

Maybe check with a dermatologist.

I agree, I might have to see one and make sure it's not something else going on with my skin. It is the largest organ in my body after all, although my wife will disagree. LMAO

• Haha
Reactions: newdude and JamesW
I noticed the CYA says it’s 98%. I wonder what is in the other 2%?

All the CYA I’ve ever used was listed at 100%.

As others have said, I don’t think it’s the chlorine since you don’t have an issue with tap water.

Good catch. I think I did change brand on that one item a month ago but can't remember which one I had.

Just read this:
Calcium chloride is added to pools to keep the water hard. This protects the surfaces of the pool from corrosion. Some researchTrusted Sourcesuggests that calcium in hard water may damage the skin barrier, increasing skin dryness and irritation.

Not sure if that’s the issue but maybe try to keep ur CH on the lower recommended end like 250. Anyone have any other thoughts.
With a plaster pool, that’s not advisable.

What happens if you swim without sunscreen, in the dusk hours? I know several people who have reactions to either the sun or sunscreen off and on. Your pool logs look pretty perfect, so I can’t imagine it’s the water.

With a plaster pool, that’s not advisable.

What happens if you swim without sunscreen, in the dusk hours? I know several people who have reactions to either the sun or sunscreen off and on. Your pool logs look pretty perfect, so I can’t imagine it’s the water.

Actually, I never use sunscreen. We can rule that out lol

I guess another test could be for me to use the pool at night.

If others using sunscreen are using the pool, then you will also be exposed to it when you get in.

No one used sunscreen either. And it occurs even with only me in the pool.

Is the rash all over your body or just in certain areas?

Mostly on both sides of my torso, upper thighs (both thighs) by the area of the waist and both arms (back of arm near triceps and inner side of biceps). Very symmetrical.

Here are 2 photos I took yesterday of my arm and thigh. It was like this on both sides.

8B6F1BB5-095C-4DBC-AC1E-A1E826F8DD32.jpeg

E629BEFB-8DB9-4702-A81F-043E04AD19D4.jpeg

You have a bathtub at home? Do some experiments.

Fill the tub and then add stabilizer for CYA 80. Then add 5 ppm of liquid chlorine. Mix it all up well and then take a dunk in it.

This will determine if you have a problem with fresh tap water with your stabilizer and chlorine. If you are good soaking in that mixture then it says the problem is other stuff in your pool water.

You can do some other controlled experiments with the other chemicals you add to your pool to see if you can isolate the problem.

What brand salt do you use?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It could be eczema, my wife and brother in law have symptoms. They are extremely sensitive to temperature change and both take antihistamines before or after pool/spa. My brother in law had a horrible reaction to poison ivy. Like his neck swelled up like an inner tube.

You have a bathtub at home? Do some experiments.

Fill the tub and then add stabilizer for CYA 80. Then add 5 ppm of liquid chlorine. Mix it all up well and then take a dunk in it.

This will determine if you have a problem with fresh tap water with your stabilizer and chlorine. If you are good soaking in that mixture then it says the problem is other stuff in your pool water.

You can do some other controlled experiments with the other chemicals you add to your pool to see if you can isolate the problem.

What brand salt do you use?

Now that you mention it, a month ago I had to add more salt since the levels dropped from so much rain and emptying out the excess water. Initially I had use Morton Pool Salt (40lb blue bag) but this time around, I used another brand, I can't even remember the name.

Dammit, I'm starting to think that it must be one of the chemicals I have added which were not the original brands I had been using.

I know for sure the salt and CYA were different brands than I had been using. I purchased them at Pinch-a-Penny because of the convenience of them being 3 minutes from my job and they always gave me a 10% off discount.

Now that you mention it, a month ago I had to add more salt since the levels dropped from so much rain and emptying out the excess water. Initially I had use Morton Pool Salt (40lb blue bag) but this time around, I used another brand, I can't even remember the name.

Dammit, I'm starting to think that it must be one of the chemicals I have added which were not the original brands I had been using.

I know for sure the salt and CYA were different brands than I had been using. I purchased them at Pinch-a-Penny because of the convenience of them being 3 minutes from my job and they always gave me a 10% off discount.
Did you use Clorox brand salt? Investigation: Clorox Selling Pool Salt Made From Fracking Wastewater

In my opinion, if it was something in the water, the symptoms would be more widespread.

I would suspect some sort of bacterial or fungal infection that is aggravated by the skin getting waterlogged.

I would see what a dermatologist thinks.

No, I think it was that SunCoast brand at Pinch A Penny.

In my opinion, if it was something in the water, the symptoms would be more widespread.

I would suspect some sort of bacterial or fungal infection that is aggravated by the skin getting waterlogged.

I would see what a dermatologist thinks.

Yea, I already contacted my primary physician to set up an appointment. This morning I was developing very light itching on my hands and arms, very small rash/hive developed and I haven't been in the pool since Saturday.

It might not be the pool afterall and whatever it is, gets aggravated like you said by the skin getting waterlogged.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.