Desperately Need Good Advice About Existing Pump and Filter

It looks as though the valve could be taken apart to be inspected. I would do that first just to see if it is in good condition.

It is hard to tell if the pump lid gasket is in good condition or not from just a picture. Look for any cracks in the gasket. Also check the drain plugs, they can leak too. If you have any pool lube, you can use that on all the gaskets for a better seal.

I do not know what you are referring to as the drain plugs? A google search seems to show them as being a part of the filter but wouldn't that be on the discharge side of the pump so how could that impact air in the pump? Also, going to pull apart the Jandy valve now. Would it be best to go to a plumbing supply store to get replacement gaskets and the lube or can all of this stuff be found at a pool store such as Pinch A Penny?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your are not going to find Jandy valves or parts at a plumbing store. You can try Pinch A Penny, but that valve looks old to me and I'm not sure they will have parts for that one. I'd open the valve and inspect it. If obviously bad, I'd take the parts with me to match them at a pool store. I suspect that taking the valve apart and coating the rubber parts and gasket with pool lube is all you will need to do. Worst case, you can replace or by pass the valve.

Near the bottom of the pump you should be able to see two small plugs that screw in. This allows those unfortunate people, that don't live in Florida, to drain the water from the pump in the winter time.

Jim R.

Your are not going to find Jandy valves or parts at a plumbing store. You can try Pinch A Penny, but that valve looks old to me and I'm not sure they will have parts for that one. I'd open the valve and inspect it. If obviously bad, I'd take the parts with me to match them at a pool store. I suspect that taking the valve apart and coating the rubber parts and gasket with pool lube is all you will need to do. Worst case, you can replace or by pass the valve.

Near the bottom of the pump you should be able to see two small plugs that screw in. This allows those unfortunate people, that don't live in Florida, to drain the water from the pump in the winter time.

Jim R.

Ok here is the Jandy. Think it's shot? Not sure what kind of parts I can buy to fix that. The O-Ring was very brittle. When you say bypass then what I mentioned earlier to run the skimmer suction pipe directly to the pump and just cap the main drain suction pipe is feasible with no downsides? Drain plugs seem fine. They were only hand tight so maybe I'll reinstall them a little tighter this time.

Dropbox - File Dec 30, 8 33 41 AM.jpeg

Dropbox - File Dec 30, 8 34 05 AM.jpeg

Dropbox - File Dec 30, 8 34 28 AM.jpeg

Dropbox - File Dec 30, 8 34 44 AM.jpeg

Looks bad. I would remove the valve and just plumb the skimmer line directly into the pump. Cap the main drain line.

OK … found time to re-plumb today. Pump is working awesome now. One last thing … still have some air bubbles coming out of first eyelet return. Can this be normal? Will get a short vid tomorrow to share. Thanks everyone for the help and HAPPY NEW YEAR !!

Pull the skimmer basket out of skimmer and try. What kind of flow is coming back to pool through returns. You also might try removing pump basket and try feeling into the impeller area for debris or blockage. Sometimes you can reach into with needle nose pliers

Before you take the pump apart to feel for debris in the impeller please turn the breaker off to the pump. Don't want any trips to the ER!

Thanks for everyone that has helped on this thread! Well done! This is what TFP is all about!

Kim:kim:

Before you take the pump apart to feel for debris in the impeller please turn the breaker off to the pump. Don't want any trips to the ER!

Thanks for everyone that has helped on this thread! Well done! This is what TFP is all about!

Kim:kim:

I agree. this was a very, very well crafted thread w great troubleshooting and resolution found. I also thought the same thing about being near an impeller w out the power first terminated...flip the switch :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.