Desperately in need of help, white particles all over the pool surface

If there is no algae problems why is slam good for me.
Your reported FC level is much lower than the minimum needed to prevent algae. Algae is not always visible. And the particles you are showing appear to be organic. So an increase of your FC to SLAM level and maintain it at that for a couple days will see if the issue goes away.

Sam, You have some experts trying to help you but you have to get over the idea that your issues is not organics (maybe not algae but organics just the same)

Once you can get that idea grasped, then understand that the SLAM process is intended to clear up pools just like yours. Have you read the article on the SLAM process? It doesn't sound like you have but if you decide to follow the advice of some very experienced and smart pool owners, then read that article and follow the process exactly as it is described. It is NOT one dose but a process that will clear your pool.

The three Moderators attempting to help you have 75,000 post on this forum helping others. They see your issue and they know what to do about it. It's up to you to decide to take their advice or continue on your own path.

Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. Make sure you understand it. Then, read the SLAM process. It will fix your pool.

I had similar stuff floating on my pool, and it became cloudy. I have a SAND filter. Pool store said it may be my sand is old, but suggested I “shock it” BUT I live by TFP So.. I did the cheaper thing first, and completed a TFP SLAM for 7 days. (I had slight overnight chlorine loss for each night so I just kept it high until I had absolutely none). I held my chlorine at 18. ( I originally had it too low (3) because I was using a metal remover (which worked brilliantly) but side effect was this weird organic thing on my pool.).
I believe yours is too low as well. Use the chlorine level to CYA level chart on TFP to see where you should keep your regular chlorine level AND what chlorine level to do a SLAM at.
I also used skimmer socks and it caught a ton of it as it died off (I assume). I was shocked it was as organic.

Reactions: zea3
Oh ok i am very sorry for the multiple questions. I hope I'll not annoying you im new to these . Slam seems like a super shock with liquid chlorine. If there is no algae problems why is slam good for me.

Ask away..no need to apologize. We're here to help. SLAMing your pool now and making sure you meet all criteria will only mean that it tells us that there is no organics in your pool. So that's why they are suggesting that your first follow the SLAM process and then take other measures if SLAMing does not work.

Reactions: zea3
I just went through this, couldn't for the life of me figure it out and was lead back to this site only after I was already fed up with the pool and ended up draining 3/4ths of it and starting over. I have already learned so much on here in just a day of reading. Hoping to have crystal clear water all summer long!

• Love
Reactions: kimkats
Hi, so based on all the info i gathered it seems to be cellulose fiber de. A very tiny portion floats on top and for some reason doesnt get filtered. So,
i cleaned the whole filter and switched back to normal DE. Now i need to wait and see if it catches all the particles. If not i will buy new grids One question i had was, in order to facilitate the filteration of the water surface, i disconnected the vaccume (i only have one suction hole) and ran with only the skimmer on, basically. At higher pump speeds, this creates a tiny whirlpool (vortex like) and sucks everything in and once in a while makes a loud sucking noise, but and here is the question!

this also causes air to go in with the whirpool and hence i have ton of air shooting out of the jets. Is that bad for the pump or the system? Should i avoid doing that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi, so based on all the info i gathered it seems to be cellulose fiber de. A very tiny portion floats on top and for some reason doesnt get filtered. So,
i cleaned the whole filter and switched back to normal DE. Now i need to wait and see if it catches all the particles. If not i will buy new grids One question i had was, in order to facilitate the filteration of the water surface, i disconnected the vaccume (i only have one suction hole) and ran with only the skimmer on, basically. At higher pump speeds, this creates a tiny whirlpool (vortex like) and sucks everything in and once in a while makes a loud sucking noise, but and here is the question!

this also causes air to go in with the whirpool and hence i have ton of air shooting out of the jets. Is that bad for the pump or the system? Should i avoid doing that?

It sounds like your pump is too powerful for your plumbing.

It really helps us on these type of questions if you create your signature with details of your poola nd equipment. Such as what model and HP pump do you have?

It sounds like your pump is too powerful for your plumbing.

It really helps us on these type of questions if you create your signature with details of your poola nd equipment. Such as what model and HP pump do you have?
Hi i added a signature. The pump is powerful but without the vaccum im running it at 1700 and this happens it primes at 2500 and i vaccum at 2000. If i have the vaccum connected thr whirpool doesnt happen. Also i dont have a skimmer basket only the pump has it. Basically i have two holes that one works and a door that opens and closes with water flow

Do you need to add water? The skimmer sucking air is usually a sign that the water is too low.

PS - Your signature worked!

What speed are you running your VS pump?

Turn down the speed until it is not churning water in the skimmer and blowing air out the returns.

Why don't you have a skimmer basket? It helps protect you from getting something into the skimmer pipe that will get stuck.

Sucking a lot of air is not great for the pump. The skimmer should have a calm flow of water through it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.