Oct 17, 2016
Round Rock/Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi Everyone,
We are in the process of building a new pool and I would to ask for opinions on placement of one of the ledges. Attached is a rendering of our pool. Currently I have one of the ledges along the deep end wall but I am thinking I should move it to the wall closer to the house on the same side as the tanning ledge to open up the full deep end. What do you all think? Thx!

Attachments

• 9A10B5B2-B15D-43AB-9E96-E816212C181D.jpeg
    9A10B5B2-B15D-43AB-9E96-E816212C181D.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 208
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Just a personal suggestion, think about what time of day you'll use that bench. For us, we typically lounge in the late afternoon/evening, so we want the sun at our back. Very difficult to enjoy the bench and have a conversation with the TX sun right in your face. There may be other considerations, but that was one that jumped out to me. Good luck on your build!

I like your idea of not taking away from the length of the pool and moving the bench to the house side. Or you could just put a bench (Swim out) at each corner of the deep end instead of all the way across...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I like the overall design a lot. I do agree with you that it would be better to remove the bench at the deep end. I like the idea of it being on the house side and a small swim out one in the other corner. That opens up your swim lane!

What are the depths of your pool?

Kim:kim:

I'll 3rd the idea of moving the bench to the wall closest to the house. That way whoever is sitting on the bench will have flexibility to sit near the deep end/fire pit, or the tanning ledge/covered patio area.

Here's a picture of our rectangular pool and you can see the benches. One along the whole shallow end that wraps around the corner, and one in each of the deep-end corners. Here's my commentary on having this setup.

The only change I might make were I to get a do-over, is to have maybe 6' in the middle of the shallow end that had no bench. Only because of swimming laps. But my lap swimming is laughable as its not my thing so its not a big deal. For you I encourage a bench in the shallow end on the long wall opposite the tanning ledge. People will sit on both and be able to easily talk back and forth across that section of the pool while facing each other. (Revision - It looks like you have a long bench all along the waterfalls so ignore previous comment.) I also highly enjoy the deep-end corner benches and standing ledges (twice as deep as the benches). Easy egress from that end in either corner and great for standing in the deep end to play catch or shoot basketballs from, or on those benches, to sit lengthwise on them with one are on the coping. Basketball is the sport in our pool. If you click on the picture it will enlarge for better viewing. We also have a middle bench on one side but it looks like your pool is a shorter than ours so I might not recommend that setup. (Again - ignore previous statement as you have a long bench on that side.)

Attached is revised renderings changing and moving the bench to an L shape in the corner of the deep end on the house side. Do you guys think this still takes up too much space of the deep end or is dangerous for kids jumping into the pool? Also we are big on basketball and the PB recommends placing a goal in the shallow end by the steps but I’m not sure if I like it there. Any feedback on another place for a b-ball goal?

Attachments

• 51218C58-B0E7-4F6A-A6D0-8D5227E512F5.png
    51218C58-B0E7-4F6A-A6D0-8D5227E512F5.png
    835.3 KB · Views: 98
I like that step size/placement. We have had no issues in 7 years with kids/adults and any of our benches. But high contrast marker tiles are a good idea. Ours aren't high contrast but still help visibility but we've also had no issues. I prefer the basketball hoop placed to the right of the shelf facing away from the house, halfway between the shelf and bench. In the current position, the steps are a big impact to play space up close. I'd also get a hoop with SS sleeve and clear plexiglass so it doesn't impact visibility out from the house side as much. This placement also allows for a much wider range of shots from within the pool.

This one is nice. Regulation Clear Hoop I have this one for portability (not looks) and it has a breakaway backboard feature for HARD play. Splash and Slam

Reactions: rlesch7

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Let the MUD begin!

As soon as they say they are done take the plans and a tape measure out there. Is it deep, long, wide enough? Add about 8" for the steel, shell, and plaster. NOW will be the time to fix or tweak.

Day 4 complete. All measurements seem in line. Only thing missing are the two lights in tanning ledge but not sure if they are done yet. I’ve emailed the builder to confirm. My wife wants a detailed plan of what’s next which I believe is Gunite after plumbing. 0E20FC78-9BF9-415F-8D3B-B4BC9C5B1969.jpeg

Attachments

• EC59CCE7-F0E8-4FE5-82DD-11DDDDC285AE.jpeg
    EC59CCE7-F0E8-4FE5-82DD-11DDDDC285AE.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 18
  • FC960000-D8F3-42BC-8396-052E1C5634EE.jpeg
    FC960000-D8F3-42BC-8396-052E1C5634EE.jpeg
    279.3 KB · Views: 19
My wife wants a detailed plan of what’s next which I believe is Gunite after plumbing.

I'm sure every PB is a little different, but mine went like this:
- Stub plumbing
- Steel inspection
- Gunite
- Coping/tile/stonework
- Equipment/plumbing/electrical
- Decking
- Plaster

I know I missed about a million inspections in between, but that should be the general flow.

SWEET! Have you started bonding with it yet?? aka watering it. This slows down the curing so it is that much stronger.
Guess what time it is!!! Time for YOUR set of links!!

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

We are getting close to having to make our tile, coping and stone choice. My wife really likes the Mosaic waterline style tile however, I am concerned it will look too dated. What are your thoughts on our choices so far? The water feature wall face will be the stone (with scuppers like the attached pic) that matches the stone on our house. Plaster will be NPT Midnight Blue Mini Pebble and the coping will be a lueder stone.

Attachments

• EBFD109E-6E82-48D1-B973-7FD720B9374A.jpeg
    EBFD109E-6E82-48D1-B973-7FD720B9374A.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 44
  • D645192B-7DED-4757-A4E9-A415D0971A0D.jpeg
    D645192B-7DED-4757-A4E9-A415D0971A0D.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 54
  • A8D3D117-9A34-4FDB-9DB5-CA344B3A48BA.jpeg
    A8D3D117-9A34-4FDB-9DB5-CA344B3A48BA.jpeg
    24.5 KB · Views: 55
  • A3BD80FF-0100-445B-9E9F-94D54BD42825.jpeg
    A3BD80FF-0100-445B-9E9F-94D54BD42825.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 51

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.