Design Indecision

Mattlar0806

Jul 6, 2023
Northeast
Supposedly 2 weeks away from demo-ing my old pool and I’m still debating this design. On the rectangular build the PB said the swim out has to be in the corner. But now look at how someone off the slide has to travel to get there….

So I thought of this different length deep end walls. This actually gives me the same shallow end size as the enlarged 22x40 pool without the extra 80 sqft saving me some $$.
(The DB and slide will have the same orientation in the rectangular pool). Please Excuse the horrible hand sketches.

What do people think?

Open to other ideas here but I am limited.
Need to keep a DB level 1 envelop (6ft board).
Need the pool long side to run as in the pictures.
Need the slide and rock mountain to be against the left side wall to not obstruct views into backyard.

Attachments

• IMG_8771.jpeg
    IMG_8771.jpeg
    251.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8765.jpeg
    IMG_8765.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 25
Got pics of the old ?

What kind of pool are you installing ?
new pool will be Gunite.
Old pool is a Gunite installed inside a 20x40 vinyl pool. We drilled the walls the other day and hit the old metal wall. Old pool is about 6 feet of usable shallow end. It’s 30yrs old and about 4 inches thick all around so ultimately decided best to replace.

IMG_6763.jpeg

Reactions: Newdude
Old pool is about 6 feet of usable shallow end
This is why I don't like stuff inside the pool, like stairs. You pay through the nose for a 'swimming pool' then remove valuable real estate.

My deep end bench, as much as I love it, takes 18 inches away from the width. Instead of a 20x40 it's a 18.5x40 for the first 8 ft. In your current case, the 12 ft shallow end becomes 6 with the stairs and table.

This is why I don't like stuff inside the pool, like stairs. You pay through the nose for a 'swimming pool' then remove valuable real estate.

My deep end bench, as much as I love it, takes 18 inches away from the width. Instead of a 20x40 it's a 18.5x40 for the first 8 ft. In your case, the 12 ft shallow end becomes 6 with the stairs and table.
I’m doing it again by adding a sunshelf but the wife really wants it - otherwise she doesn’t like pools so it’s a must have now. But!!! By doing the level 1 envelope reaches 3.5 ft 20.5ft from the far edge. So that leaves 19.5. Or 13.5 ft x 22 shallow end after sundeck.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also worry that the 12ft section for the DB would look too narrow and silly and I’m over engineering bc of the swimout. Butttt the odd shape does save me 7k on being able to keep it to 800sqft and have same shallow end sqft as the 880 pool. It has less wasted deep end space

What’s the consensus here?

Reactions: HermanTX
I’m all for the 22x40 except for the dang swim out being tucked in the corner and having to swim past the DB landing zone to reach it.
This wouldn't bother me at all. With a couple swimmers, people have to yield at times with or without a DB. It's no different than one swimmer letting another one pass first, except one is on a DB.

And by 'swimmer' I mean kids that might as well bounce around the pool like lotto balls. 2 adult swimmers could pick a path and never intersect.
What’s the consensus here?
I'm afraid it's mighty subjective to the user. Beauty in the eye of the beerholder and whatnot.

This wouldn't bother me at all. With a couple swimmers, people have to yield at times with or without a DB. It's no different than one swimmer letting another one pass first, except one is on a DB.

And by 'swimmer' I mean kids that might as well bounce around the pool like lotto balls. 2 adult swimmers could pick a path and never intersect.

I'm afraid it's mighty subjective to the user. Beauty in the eye of the beerholder and whatnot.
Thanks this does make me feel better that people will just learn to deal with it and kids always will do wreckless things regardless.

Lastly - I could make it a free form to help with the rock design / natural look. Horrible drawing but you get the point I think

Attachments

• IMG_8781.jpeg
    IMG_8781.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 11
I like rectangles as it's the most amount of usable space. But again, subjective. 🤷‍♂️

Hey - do you have any valuable feedback on diving board vs diving rock?

For my son, I mapped out the dimensions of the new pool 22x40 with a lvl 1 diving envelope. Primarily showing him the 12 6” length of the new shallow end (18.5 ft minus 6ft for sunshelf / stairs). Completely curve ball - He said it’s too small and would go for diving rock instead. With diving rock we can go back to a 20x40 (saving thousands) and max the deep end at 6ft and gain about 7-9ft of shallow end length.

Rock or board is in addition to a 26ft dolphin slide - Thoughts?

Rock or board is in addition to a 26ft dolphin slide - Thoughts?
It's 110% subjective. I'd have all deep end if I could build my own pool next to the family pool.

It sounds like you all agree on the diving rock configuration being best for you, your wallet included. :)

Reactions: Mattlar0806

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.