Deep return jets--thinking of not flushing them?

thechairperson

Bronze Supporter
May 25, 2019
Northwest Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I measured how deep my return jets are and they are ~20" below the waterline, which is ~18" below the top of the skimmer. I never realized they were that deep and I can't imagine pumping out that much water and putting it back in when I open it (nearly 1/3 of the volume of the pool). I'm now thinking I won't flush out the return jets and would appreciate your advice.

For some context, we bought the house in January and the the pump and filter were winterized, but the return jets still had their eyeballs. I'm in Northwest Arkansas and we tend to have fairly mild winters. I called the local pool store and they said they usually drop the water to 1" below the tile, put foam/empty plastic bottle in the skimmer, and don't bother with the return jets. With mine so deep, I'm guessing I'll probably be OK?

Frost depth is AR is 5 inches. Water will not be in the return lines higher then the pool water level. As long as you drop the water so it is more then 5" below ground it should be fine.

You might want to read...

Frost_Line_Map.jpg

Reactions: thechairperson
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.