Deep Freeze, pump concerns

bnsatkinson

Jul 24, 2020
Houston, Texas
Hi there!
Houston is forcasted to have a deep freeze with snow/ice storm for 2 consecutive days.

My pool is not winterized. Would running the pump all night be sufficient to keep the 1.5" intex pipes from freezing? I have a 16ft above ground, and the pump is elevated and uncovered.
Would it be best to run the pump continuously, or to drain the pool below the skimmer and disconnect all lines/pump? Cover pump with tarp? Also, should I cover the pool?

We havent had a deep freeze in 4 years here in Houston, and the first winter we have our pool of course it arrives. Lol. I'm a little anxious... any gems of wisdom would be so very appreciated!
Thank uou!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Just keep the water moving. That's what I'll be doing. If you have a tarp or something like that, you can cover the equipment pad to keep any sleet and such off. If you lose power for s significant amount of time, then consider draining water from the pump to avoid freeze expansion. If you have any other questions let us know.

im in the same boat here in Houston.

When you say cover the equipment with a tarp, what do you mean? drape it over it? or create kind of an enclosure?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Just keep the water moving. That's what I'll be doing. If you have a tarp or something like that, you can cover the equipment pad to keep any sleet and such off. If you lose power for s significant amount of time, then consider draining water from the pump to avoid freeze expansion. If you have any other questions let us know.

drape it over it?
That's it. Something simple in case heavy sleet/rain fall on us. Watch for winds too though so it doesn't blow away. If you can't do it, just the fact that the pool water is continuously moving should be fine. Lines below the ground will be fine. Our short freeze days are nothing like freezing temps up north that are sustained for months at a time.

Reactions: MiguelACA
That's it. Something simple in case heavy sleet/rain fall on us. Watch for winds too though so it doesn't blow away. If you can't do it, just the fact that the pool water is continuously moving should be fine. Lines below the ground will be fine. Our short freeze days are nothing like freezing temps up north that are sustained for months at a time.

awesome, what do you think about the bubblers and bubblers lines/pipes?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for your tips! I will run the pump continuously while below freezing temps, and place a tarp over the pump.
I included a picture of my setup. My tubing is not run underground. Would you advise wrapping towels around it for insultation, or does running the pump keep them from freezing in single digits?
Also, should I bother putting the pool cover over the pool? Not sure this would help insulate at ALL with the temps so low.
I love seeing all my TX friends! Thank you for your help, neighbors! We will have a low of 7 Monday night!🥶

Attachments

• download_20210210_181915.jpg
    download_20210210_181915.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 11
I am in Austin and we have been dealing with this cold weather for days. I had been my running my pump continually to make sure water circulating. But then we lost power and we lost it for 24 hours. The power just came on but now my pipes are frozen and we have no water in the house.

The power is back on the pool pump, but I can see my Polaris no longer running and the water is no longer moving. So my guess is water is now frozen in the pool pump lines. Not good at all.

My question is it bad to still leave the pump on at this point even though water does seem to be circulating? Or am I am in danger of burning out the motor if stays on but no water is moving?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome to the forum
Disconnect the power to your pool equipment now! It will burn up the pump. Try to take off the pump basket lids and any drain ports if you can. But if frozen on, leave them.

Welcome to the forum
Disconnect the power to your pool equipment now! It will burn up the pump. Try to take off the pump basket lids and any drain ports if you can. But if frozen on, leave them.
Thanks for your help, Marty. I am a novice when it comes to pool care. I put the unit into "service mode" at the panel. Is that enough? I will try and see if I can figure out how to take off the pump basket lids.

Thanks for your help, Marty. I am a novice when it comes to pool care. I put the unit into "service mode" at the panel. Is that enough? I will try and see if I can figure out how to take off the pump basket lids.
No - you should have a breaker switch on the panel, or at least on your main breaker box for the house, switch that completely off to kill the power to all of the pool equipment. Your pump should have some thumb screws (1 or 2 probably) somewhere at the bottom on one side. Unscrew those if you can in addition to opening the pump basket lid. They will drain any water inside the pump.

Reactions: mknauss
Ok thank you. I cut off the power at the breaker. But I am not sure where to drain everything as you mentioned. Here is my setup? Do I need to unscrew that clear lid shown. And what is the faucet that I see? Should I open it to allow it to drain?

IMG-4956.jpg

IMG-4955.jpg

Yes, you can remove the clear lid. At the bottom sides of that pump basket should be one or two drain plugs. Unscrew those as well. The tall filter housing should have a drain plug at the bottom, so be sure to unscrew that as well. Cover everything if you can.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.