Deep Freeze, pump concerns

Maybe open that spigot valve briefly to release any trapped moisture in the lines. Then consider removning the skimmer basket back at the pool and place a plastic liter bottle (or milk jug), about 1/3 full of RV antifreeze, gravel, or maybe even Vodka :) to sink in the skimmer and provide cushion should it try to freeze in there.

Thanks again for all of the help. I did cover all of the equipment. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to locate the screws to drain the pump. Nor could I locate where I should drain the filter. Here are a couple of photos but not sure if this where it should be drained.

IMG-4959.jpg
IMG-4961.jpg

Those appear like drain plugs. As you do not have a signature completed we do not know what equipment you have.

Sorry for probably a silly question but wondering if doing this step would create damage to the pool. We are finally above freezing in Texas. And I finally have power again but the water is shut off at the city level.

Is there harm if I turn on the pump to check on the pool and even warm up my hot tub? Or does water in my house need to be running in my house to be able to do this? I am just not sure how all of the mechanics of the pool equipment works. Thanks!

Is there harm if I turn on the pump to check on the pool and even warm up my hot tub?
If the water level in the pool is fine, there is no need to wait on starting up the pool equipment. Be sure ALL ice is out of the system, including lines, pump, filter, etc.

Sorry for probably a silly question but wondering if doing this step would create damage to the pool. We are finally above freezing in Texas. And I finally have power again but the water is shut off at the city level.

Is there harm if I turn on the pump to check on the pool and even warm up my hot tub? Or does water in my house need to be running in my house to be able to do this? I am just not sure how all of the mechanics of the pool equipment works. Thanks!

I would not try and run your pool or spa until water is on in your house.

If your pool has leaks or you lose water from evaporation and are not able to fill the water back up to the skimmers you may get stuck needing to shutdown the pool again.

There is no rush to start your pool. It can sit dormant for a few days at least.

Reactions: Leebo
I would not try and run your pool or spa until water is on in your house.

If your pool has leaks or you lose water from evaporation and are not able to fill the water back up to the skimmers you may get stuck needing to shutdown the pool again.

There is no rush to start your pool. It can sit dormant for a few days at least.

Perfect. Thanks for everyone's help.

So things really started to thaw out today. So I tested the pool. The pump is not having any issues and the Polaris is running normal. But I did not notice water coming out of this pipe. So it looks like I may have a leak.

I turned this valve to stop the flow. Is that the right thing to do? Do I need to turn off the water to the house even if I turned the valve to stop the water from leaking? I have video but could not figure out how to attach it.

IMG-5049.jpg

IMG_5052.jpg

IMG-5050.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, I sent these photos to my pool people too. They are saying a plumber has to fix it. Is that true?

It looks like part of your house plumbing not your pool plumbing.

That appears to me to be a brass back pressure valve for either your yard irrigation system (or possibly pool fill?). It is very common for those back pressure valves to burst during hard freezes if they are not isolated and drained. Replacements are available at the big box stores or on-line. If you can do basic PVC plumbing repair, you can replace it yourself.

Thanks again for your help. Looks like it will be a while before a plumber can fix it. If I have it shut off, is there any problem with turning my pool on?

No, that does not look to be used by your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.