Deep end built too shallow (2 feet off, Gunite); what are our options going to be?

A122

Oct 10, 2022
Harrisburg, PA
Hello. Looking for some advice and guidance. We are building a Gunite pool and they shot the Gunite on Friday. I noticed the deep end didn’t seem that deep today when I was watering the pool and measured; it’s 6 feet instead of 8 feet deep. Super upset. How can this be remedied without impacting the structural integrity of the pool, aside from ripping it all out and starting over?

This is more of an excavation issue. Your PM for the project should have caught that discrepancy when before or directly after they laid the rebar.
Maybe @AQUA~HOLICS has some ideas he can offer.

Reactions: A122
Can you provide some pictures of the shell ? Adding 24” of Shotcrete on top of the existing bond beam can be done by core drilling/epoxying a new cage of rebar for the entire perimeter of the pool shell. The skimmer would have to be removed and replaced at the correct elevation.
It can be accomplished with a lot of work.

Reactions: A122
Ty so much for taking the time to respond. The back side of the pool has a raised beam and raised spa, which might make increasing the height complicated, I think. If your solution isn’t feasible, I don’t see how any other type modification could be done without compromising the integrity of the shell. it’s obviously dark here now, but I have these two photos, if they help. I can try to get a better photo in the morning.

Attachments

• 6DBC2B4D-8B91-44C9-B0A1-3A5C3F8ECAE9.jpeg
    6DBC2B4D-8B91-44C9-B0A1-3A5C3F8ECAE9.jpeg
    666.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 40DB6228-5F84-4111-ABF7-BBC7CEADDC6A.jpeg
    40DB6228-5F84-4111-ABF7-BBC7CEADDC6A.jpeg
    372.2 KB · Views: 136
Did you want a diving pool?

Was the pool designed for diving?

What would be the problems with a 6’ deep pool for your needs?

Unfortunately, 6 feet won’t work for us. My husband is over 6 feet tall and we contracted for an 8 foot deep pool. The pool depth isn’t even a full six feet; it’s just under six feet to the edge of the concrete, which is obviously not where the water line will be.

Step 1 - Put a STOP on the project immediately and talk to your PB.

This is a huge error to correct and you are NOT responsible to fix it. Tell the PB you do not accept the current configuration of the pool and then demand a plan to fix it. If they have to demolition the shell, haul it all away and redo the gunite, so be it. That’s on them, not you. Whatever happens DO NOT allow the project to proceed unless you are satisfied with the plan to fix the shell.

Can you provide some pictures of the shell ? Adding 24” of Shotcrete on top of the existing bond beam can be done by core drilling/epoxying a new cage of rebar for the entire perimeter of the pool shell. The skimmer would have to be removed and replaced at the correct elevation.
It can be accomplished with a lot of work.
Oops. I did post a reply but responded to the thread and not your actual post.

Great advice already posted. I am not a pool expert, but I know a little about structural concrete (I'm not an engineer in PA).

It's unfortunate the error was not noticed earlier because this is now an extremely expensive fix. The optimal fix is complete demo and re-do but that does not mean other options are not acceptable.

I suppose that building up a 2' wall is possible, but I am assuming you do not want to increase the depth of the shallow end by 2'. So, the new topping wall would need to be tapered so that the shallow end does not increase by the full 2'. If this is the solution - make sure the final depths/slope will be acceptable prior to shotcrete.

The PB may elect to keep the shallow side and demo the deep side only; then re-shoot the deep side deeper. This can be acceptable if done correctly. The new rebar would need to be drilled & epoxied into the existing concrete shell. Search for "cold joint" for additional info.

If there is a structural engineer involved, make sure any fix is approved by them. Make sure that this issue is documented in writing (email is better than text). Consider negotiating a longer structural warranty.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Think about once the water is over your chin you cannot stand in the area and the depth makes little difference if it is not a diving pool.

Unless your husband is eligible for the NBA chances are he will not be able to stand in the deep area you have now.

Last edited:
Im 6'2" my last pool was 8 feet that we wanted to use for diving, and never installed a diving board. In fact 99% of the time we would cannonball in the deep end and swim to the side and hang on to the ledge, then when you got tired of that go to the shallow end and hang out, sitting on a pool float it didn't matter what the depth of water was (as long as its deep enough to float lol).

Current pool is 6 foot 6 inches deep and thats only at like the last 3 feet of the pool and this is perfect IMO, still deep enough to do canon balls. But perfect for lounging, and thats what I wanted, a lounge pool. This may not be what you want. Ive only swam in it once however but immediately knew id made the right choice ordering a non diving pool.

If it were me I would leave it alone and ask for a substantial rebate towards the rest of the pool. But its your pool and if having it be 8 feet is part of the dream, go for it. Just be prepared for the PB to find every way to get you not to do it. Stay strong if its what you really want.

I would make them fix it. Two feet is a huge difference. There is nothing the grandson and I love better than diving down and swimming around the bottom of the pool. I only went 6 feet deep, that was a mistake.

If you wanted 8, I don't think you'll be happy.

• Love
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
That's terrible..... I too would want a complete re-do, especially after having the pool now for 4 years. The PB wanted to go 6' and said that would be deep enough. When we got the first set of plans it came with big red note saying "This is not a Diving Pool" Wich brought to light potential legal issues. We decided to pay the extra to go 8' and now we could not imagine it being any less. Diving in is the only way I like to enter the pool. We Still have have strick "No Diving" rule for guests but the family very much enjoys the 8' depth. The deep end also has a nice darker color Wich adds an a esthetic Value as well. Not to mention a cooling affect from the deep end.

IMG_1735.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
You have received good advice. I am going to high light it:

-EVERYTHING in writing!!! EVERYTHING! IF there is a face to face talk or over the phone talk follow up with an email-Per our conversations on ?date? between ?Pool owner name and ?person on the other end of the phone it was decided xxxxxxx Use facts only. NO emotions allowed no matter how high they are running. Me? I would be Adult word MAD and steaming so this last part would be hard but it has to be done.

Do NOT allow any more work to be done until this is fixed. Your PB is going to push and push hard to get you to accept it like it is as it is going to cost him big time to fix it BUT it CAN be done and done where your pool will be good as new once they are done.

I urge you to come back here to share anything your PB says and suggests so we can vet it.

I urge you to come back here to share anything your PB says and suggests so we can vet it.
x10000 this. My PB fed me so much bull that this site told me wasn't true. Its one of the few resources that gave me the confidence to stand my ground against the PB. Pool builders are very good at being bullies and whining. Im sure he will use the same lines my PB did "this pool is already over budget, im losing money finishing this pool" etc. Dont listen to it. In the end I still had to pay for things that should have been covered by the contract we both signed. But those were extremely minor compared to this.

Pool Builder here.
Man what a nightmare. I hope you figured out a solution but thought I would chime in just Incase. The simplest solution on this would be to raise the bond beam all around and shoot in an extra 2 ft on top of everything in the shallow end and spa. Whether this works with the grade that surrounds your pool I don’t know. If it does just make sure you have adequate drainage between your house and pool. You typically don’t want your pool higher than the foundation on your house to mitigate foundation issues.

Another idea is to leave the whole bond beam extending 2ft out of the ground and to finish the outside with stone, tile or stucco (like your Spa but the whole pool) Keep in mind though that a raised bond beam does typically call for extra steel since it has no soil around it to add strength to the wall.

If none of these solutions work for your application and Demo is required I would demand all further work to correct the issue be inspected by your county inspector. Including Steel plans, epoxy application and soil conditions. If they demo the bottom of your pool and dig it deeper and end up in a different color or textured soil that can lead to serious structural issues so absolutely demand a soils inspection.

Pool Builder here.
Man what a nightmare. I hope you figured out a solution but thought I would chime in just Incase. The simplest solution on this would be to raise the bond beam all around and shoot in an extra 2 ft on top of everything in the shallow end and spa. Whether this works with the grade that surrounds your pool I don’t know. If it does just make sure you have adequate drainage between your house and pool. You typically don’t want your pool higher than the foundation on your house to mitigate foundation issues.

Another idea is to leave the whole bond beam extending 2ft out of the ground and to finish the outside with stone, tile or stucco (like your Spa but the whole pool) Keep in mind though that a raised bond beam does typically call for extra steel since it has no soil around it to add strength to the wall.

If none of these solutions work for your application and Demo is required I would demand all further work to correct the issue be inspected by your county inspector. Including Steel plans, epoxy application and soil conditions. If they demo the bottom of your pool and dig it deeper and end up in a different color or textured soil that can lead to serious structural issues so absolutely demand a soils inspection.
My builder is trying to tell me they measure from the pool drain which has a cover. What recourse do I have? Thinking I need to hire a lawyer and a structural engineer because there were many mistakes made here and PB refuses to accept any responsibility.

My builder is trying to tell me they measure from the pool drain which has a cover. What recourse do I have? Thinking I need to hire a lawyer and a structural engineer because there were many mistakes made here and PB refuses to accept any responsibility.
Ask them to get a tape measure and show you that’s it’s as deep as the contract says now or what plan they have to make it that way.

Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.