Deep cleaning a DE filter!

69algee

May 22, 2023
Wisconsin
Hello everyone, Hoping to get some insight from the pro's here! We have a Doughboy Sequel 2 DE Filter and are having some problems with it, last summer in our area the pool owners got hammered with a algae bloom (my wife blames me because of my name!) and after trying to get it all cleaned we have been running into problems with our filter now! We have takin it apart and cleaned it numerus times but now it seems to filter for about 15minutes and gets clogged, backwash it add more DE filter and get 15 more mins and clogged! It did this all last season and now after it was cleaned again to be put away last year, its doing it again! I am ready to give up and buy a sand filter! Any Ideas why this is happening?

now it seems to filter for about 15minutes and gets clogged,
Very typical for DE filters when trying to remove algae. Are you actually following the TFP SLAM Process? Do you have a proper test kit with test results to share? Those are key to getting rid of the algae so that the filter can capture the dead stuff. If you have a MPV, you can run on recirculate periodically if you have to step away from the pool for a while, but because of the filtration capability of a DE filter, you will be tied to it for a while. :)

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

We got rid of the algae last year already but since we got rid of it the filter is acting up.
It's very common for owners just opening up for the new swim season to at a minimum perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. This could prove valuable to know if you do or do not have an organic problem in the water contributing to the rise in filter pressure. Easy to do with your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit as opposed to opening up the filter again.

We got rid of the algae last year already but since we got rid of it the filter is acting up
98% of filter issues we see are chemistry problems where the filter is removing what you can't see. (Algae). It is possible to keep the inevitable bloom at bay where it is present but not visible. When that's the case, which again is quite often, the filter is overrun quickly looking like a mechanical problem.

OCLT like Pat linked above.

Reactions: Toxophilite
1) Skimmer socks are your friend. They act as a pre-filter for your DE filter

2) You say your cleaned you DE filter, but how did you clean it? Did you just hose off the grids / fingers or did you acid wash them?

We got rid of the algae last year already but since we got rid of it the filter is acting up. I have takin that thing apart 23-30 times last year to clean it and I am gonna try again tonight.
If you cleaned it that many times, you didn't get rid of the algae. It's the continuous algae bloom that's causing the filter to plug - if you can follow the SLAM process, you will eliminate the problem.

Just cleaning the filter won't do anything for you - as once water starts flowing, the dead algae cells will begin clogging.

It's only once you completely eliminate the algae, not just hold it down to a visually ok level, will you actually stop the issue.

It's very common for owners just opening up for the new swim season to at a minimum perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. This could prove valuable to know if you do or do not have an organic problem in the water contributing to the rise in filter pressure. Easy to do with your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit as opposed to opening up the filter again.
Well, unfortunately I do not have either of those kits. I just have the cheapo pool store one.

Well, unfortunately I do not have either of those kits. I just have the cheapo pool store one.
That's OK. None of us knew what we needed, which is how the overwhelming majority of us got here. Now you made it too. Use the collective wisdom of the 1/3 of a million people who beat you here, to your advantage. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I plan on giving that a shot! Been using Bioguard all the time with the exception of last year and everything was fine, last year we were kinda forced to use HTH products and then this! my wife called the pool company for opening this year and all they did was dump in some shock and left, never said anything to us on what we should do!

Well I plan on giving that a shot! Been using Bioguard all the time with the exception of last year and everything was fine, last year we were kinda forced to use HTH products and then this! my wife called the pool company for opening this year and all they did was dump in some shock and left, never said anything to us on what we should do!
Pretty typical - you either want to gouge your eyes out from the $$ of unnecessary and overpriced magic potions they push - OR - you can't figure out how a company could do so little actual work!

Reactions: 69algee
We got rid of the algae last year already but since we got rid of it the filter is acting up. I have takin that thing apart 23-30 times last year to clean it and I am gonna try again tonight.
I'm curious why you would take it apart rather than just backwash? Sure its a deeper clean but usually more of an annual item.

Also, you are recharging the filter with new DE after cleaning, right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.