Dedicated Vacuum Line

TheNameIsSam

Sep 18, 2021
Arizona
We're getting a dedicated vacuum line with our pool; on the same side as our full length bench. The main reason for the full length bench was so that the kids could walk back and forth between the deep and shallow end rather than get out. That and I know they'll be more comfortable jumping into the deep end from the bench than from the deck.

Do those of you with one leave your vacuum connected to it all the time? If not, does removing it (very) often cause any issues? Does removing it often greatly increase the chance of getting air into the lines

Would we be better off moving the line to the side of the pool that doesn't have the bench?

Thank!
Sam

The suction port should be equipped with a self-closing cover to prevent entrapment.
Capture.JPG

Kids like to play with these flip covers. The valve controlling the port should be in the closed position when not in use. The vacuum hose should have a regulator connector attached to control the amount of suction. The connector just slips in and is held in by suction.
Capture2.JPG
There are no issues with removing and replacing the hose as often as you'd like. I take mine out when not in use. It's up to you if you want the port on the opposite side. If there's no cost involved, it wouldn't hurt.

I have yet to step up to robot technology since I'm invested in my suction cleaner and it does what it's supposed to do...pick up loose sediment at the bottom of the pool. Robotic cleaners do a better job of scrubbing walls up to waterline and don't require the pump to run during cleaning cycles. .

Reactions: TheNameIsSam
Is electricity expensive where you live? Robots use *much* less juice and cost less than having to buy a second pump as well as an inferior sweeper.

Ehh, I'd say our prices are average. Not dirt cheap but not super expensive.

Like most new pool owners, we are getting what was suggested/recommended to us. Essentially, we're going with the vacuum line since it's what others I know with pools have and what the pool builder offered.

Down the line, I suppose if I'm not happy with it, I'll look into switching.

Thanks!
Sam

I would eliminate the vacuum line. A robot will clean far better (and cheaper) than any vacuum cleaner you can get. A robot can also clean the walls and water line while a vacuum can't. Removing the vacuum line means one less line to worry about, no port sticking out into the pool, and zero worry for the kids.

If I could remove mine now, I would - wish I had done it during the install. Just because everyone else in the neighborhood is getting one doesn't mean you should install a useless feature (in my opinion). Most pool builders include one because most folks expect one based on old school thinking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Same as others said. I did a manual vacuum and suction cleaner for a few months. I hated the hose, hassle and messing with the pump. Got a Dolphin robot and love it. If you have a white pool do NOT get a black robot. I had to switch the plastics out to avoid having to clean little annoying plastic marks in corners

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.