Dedicated vacuum line? Necessary?

ellsian

Jun 26, 2014
Peoria, AZ
My PB says we do not need a dedicated vacuum port when we have 2 skimmers and in ground floor cleaners (and not even a vacuum at all he says!). Seems a lot of people use their vacuums though, and I thought I might need it as a back up one day. Arizona can sometimes get these awful, apocalyptic-like dust storms known as "haboobs" (no joke, look it up), and I'm not sure if the infloors and skimmers alone could manage after something like that and I may need an emergency vacuum??

So is a vacuum line necessary? What about the vacuum equipment itself, can I get by on infloors, skimmers and a brush?

phoenix-8-11-15.jpg
THE HABOOOOOOOOOB IS COMING!

Mamiamjo

Dec 3, 2014
Cypress, Texas
Wow, what a dust storm. I'm not an expert, but If you have two skimmers and an in floor cleaner, I probably wouldn't do a vacuum. I would think you could always get a robot later if you need an additional cleaner

Matrioux

Platinum Supporter
Jun 8, 2015
Charlotte, NC.
Or just run a vacuum through the skimmer as you will only need it once in a while.

Unless he is talking about a pressure side cleaner which would need an extra port. If that is what he is talking about and you already have the in-floor, I would opt against as a vacuum through the skimmer port will take care of your needs and will be very cheap in comparison.

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Fletcher, OK
100% agree, a cheap skimmer port vacuum would work great if only needed 1 or 2 times a year... You may find robots are the new thing :)

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
I do just fine with a cheap manual vacuum (Lowes) connected to my skimmer. Just be sure you have a way to close off the second skimmer while you're vacuuming from the first. When my filter is freshly backwashed, I get too much suction and have to crack the three-way valve to draw some water from the spa while I vacuum otherwise the vacuum head gets sucked flat against the floor and won't roll. If you ever have to clean up after a haboob, a manual vacuum can do it, no problem. Your filter will load up in no time, but you probably know that already.

A dedicated line is just more plumbing you don't need.