Deck jet and water feature questions

Aug 6, 2017
Tacoma
Hello,

Designing a new pool and looking at doing a water feature with three deck jets per side. I would like these controlled separate from the pool filter skimmer and return system. We do have automation system in the home currently and will have control at the pool equipment room.

Reading over the forum it seems most tie into the return and then go to the water feature but also seems they are using the same pump. Since I want separate control do I go return > one way valve > pump > water feature?

Thank you in advance,

Tyler

Welcome to the forum!

Have you heard the noise that deck jets make? We installed two and have run them once, they are way too noisy. I could not imagine what 6 of them would sound like.

Sounds like you want a separate pump for them? Mine are tied to my return as some of the water goes to the jets with the balance out the returns. You have to manage pump speed for flow with how much water goes to the jets. Sprayed the neighbors a few times while adjusting them!

Good luck.

Thank you for the responses. These would be used as a water feature only so I think separate pump is required (unless a valve with contact closure is available).

I was not aware of the noise and that would be an issue. More research is needed.

Thank you,

Tyler

Thank you for the responses. These would be used as a water feature only so I think separate pump is required (unless a valve with contact closure is available).

I was not aware of the noise and that would be an issue. More research is needed.

Thank you,

Tyler

If noise is an issue for you, Laminar flow jets may be an option. What is the reasoning for having them on a separate pump? An actuator valve could turn them on and off and be controlled through either home or pool automation.

I have 4 of them on our pool with a three way valve on the return that either diverts the water to the stairs or to the deck jets. Wife hates the noise but the 3 year old loves them. I enjoy them since the neighbor dogs bark non stop. They drown out the dogs :)

What is the difference between a deck-jet and Laminar flow jet? Is the loud noise from the jet itself or from the air-born water hitting the pool?
Noise is from turbulent flow hitting the surface of the pool. The higher the flow of turbulent water hitting the surface, the more noise you'll hear. Think of it as a diver that goes in perfectly with little splash, very little noise. The opposite holds true for a belly flop or cannonball. I have laminars and they make almost no noise on low flow. On higher flow, they will make noise because they get less laminar with higher flow as the wind hits the arc and creates turbulence. I love my laminars. They were pricey but worth every penny IMO, as the effect of lighting the laminar stream at night is amazing. I have them connected to their own pump and filter.

Our three deck jets are on an actuator valve, so automation comes from the system. They are on the same pump as the rest of the pool. They are fun every now and then, but don't get used a whole lot. But, we decided to do them during the build while they were "cheap."

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.