Deck ideas

I was wondering, if I had a deck all the way around my pool that over hung the pool. What kind of cover would you buy, if you did not want to, be crawling under the deck. Are there ways to affix a cover to the deck, that would protect the pool, and not tear up the deck with whatever would be needed to attach cover, for proper protection.

We use rubber strapping hooks that go in the grommet of the cover and stretch over the deck and hook into small holes we drilled on the end of the deck board. We like that no weight is on the sides of the pool.
original.jpg

So how high is too high, I don't know what the height of the water should be under normal conditions. Doesn't the skimmer hole allow excess water to flow from pool? I was thinking that people put huge inner tubes in the middle of the pool, to hold cover up to shed water and melting snow. So resting on the water is best? What do you do when you wake up and there's 18 inches of snow on your covered pool. How do you get that snow removed, and what stops the snow weight from pushing down the cover right into the pool? Think finding a way to anchor to the deck would be good, and you say to let it rest on the water, right. I guess the pool covers have grommets all around the perimeter. Any other unique ideas out their would be great and worth posting all results. The pool companies are not going to evolve, any better long lasting solutions, they are happy to keep selling pool covers.

So how high is too high, I don't know what the height of the water should be under normal conditions. Doesn't the skimmer hole allow excess water to flow from pool? I was thinking that people put huge inner tubes in the middle of the pool, to hold cover up to shed water and melting snow. So resting on the water is best? What do you do when you wake up and there's 18 inches of snow on your covered pool. How do you get that snow removed, and what stops the snow weight from pushing down the cover right into the pool? Think finding a way to anchor to the deck would be good, and you say to let it rest on the water, right. I guess the pool covers have grommets all around the perimeter. Any other unique ideas out their would be great and worth posting all results. The pool companies are not going to evolve, any better long lasting solutions, they are happy to keep selling pool covers.

I wouldn't go higher than 62" from top of deck to the bottom of the pool wall. The step in and out of the pool gets really tall past that point.

A pool cover is just a heavy tarp cut to fit your pool. They come with a wire and a tightening device to hold the edge of the cover to the outside of the pool. The wire keeps the cover from being pulled over the top rail.

Rain snow and ice build up on the cover and weigh it down pushing g the cover further into the pool. This will actually "fill" the pool with the pool water separated from the leaves and snow and rain by the cover. A lot of people lose water from their pools because it is pushed into and drains out of the skimmer.

The skimmer needs to be protected from large amounts of ice to prevent damage. There are a number of ways to do this.

The idea of the pillow or tube under the cover is to act as a expansion buffer so that the ice doesn't damage the walls of the pool. As a secondary job of the pillow under the cover helps to drain the water off the cover by collecting the water on the edge of the pool.

when I asked how high is too high, I was referring to your statement, do not let the pool water get too high, because it would, if ice formed could damage skimmer. Thanks Linda for picture of the cover, being actually on the pool. Is this a standard type pool cover you buy from pool companies stores? If it is, I was thinking that store pool covers were formed and cut to fit the top of the pool, then having a seam, and then the rest of the material added at 90* angle to the top. That is why I could not figure how to spread the cover over on to the deck. But this may just be a flat tarp you bought get from the store. Can you tell me which is the case? Thanks

Do you disconnect the return lines from the pool then run the pump to lower the pool level? And when shutting down the pool in northern areas, do you have to drain the hoses and the pump, and drain water from sand filter, to prevent water from freezing, expanding and breaking lines pumps and what not? Is it advisable to cover pump and sand filter, with an insulated blanket? Thank for the help.

when I asked how high is too high, I was referring to your statement, do not let the pool water get too high, because it would, if ice formed could damage skimmer. Thanks Linda for picture of the cover, being actually on the pool. Is this a standard type pool cover you buy from pool companies stores? If it is, I was thinking that store pool covers were formed and cut to fit the top of the pool, then having a seam, and then the rest of the material added at 90* angle to the top. That is why I could not figure how to spread the cover over on to the deck. But this may just be a flat tarp you bought get from the store. Can you tell me which is the case? Thanks

Yes, this is a flat winter cover. It has a foot wide strip of mesh down the middle to let rain and melted snow drain through.

Yes, this is a flat winter cover. It has a foot wide strip of mesh down the middle to let rain and melted snow drain through.
. So when it snows a foot, you don't have to run out and remove the snow? And do you worry about your skimmer being damaged by freezing water? Do you you meticulously drain all the water out of all your mechanicals and hoses? I ask because we live in and around the same weather patterns. And are all pool cover flat, or did you have to request a flat one? Thanks for your input

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
. So when it snows a foot, you don't have to run out and remove the snow? And do you worry about your skimmer being damaged by freezing water? Do you you meticulously drain all the water out of all your mechanicals and hoses? I ask because we live in and around the same weather patterns. And are all pool cover flat, or did you have to request a flat one? Thanks for your input

To prepare for winter, we drain the water level 6 inches below the return. We have a de filter and disconnect it and the heater and move them into our barn along with the solar panels. My husband makes sure all the water is out of the pipes and hoses. One year we had to put the hose in the pool and drain some water out since it was getting too high. Most years the level gradually rises and by the time we remove the cover the water level is close to the return and skimmer. Most of the winter it is a solid block of ice. That is why we lower the water so much. Don't want the ice to damage the skimmer. All the winter covers for above ground pools that I have seen are flat. Hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.