Deck Build

Smiles79

May 22, 2019
Missouri
We're planning to build a deck around 1/4 of our 27' above ground pool. I've got it mostly designed, but I'm not sure about the height. Should the pool railing be just above deck boards so they can be easily removed to replace the j-hook liner I have, or should the deck be tall enough that the joists are above the railing, with enough room to get a drill or screwdriver in there to remove the railings? Pictures would be appreciated!

My deck meets my pool about 9 inches below the top ledge. I did it like that because I had a lot of existing deck that I matched up to with the pool buried 2 feet on one side.

I would have still put it below the ledge due to liner change. Those bolts may need a lot more room than you think to get them out. They WILL rust.

My deck meets my pool about 9 inches below the top ledge. I did it like that because I had a lot of existing deck that I matched up to with the pool buried 2 feet on one side.

I would have still put it below the ledge due to liner change. Those bolts may need a lot more room than you think to get them out. They WILL rust.
That's kinda what I was thinking. Can you show me a picture sometime?

Here is how mine is (on a same sized pool)

The screws for those caps are on the bottom, getting them off involves a philips bit in a small ratchet, and a lot of cursing.
That's what I was thinking about doing, it would also help hide the end of the deck board that won't perfectly match the pool. I like the little rise you have to go over it onto the steps. Does it ever bother you that the railing is above the deck surface?

I did mine level with the top rails. I didn’t want to go over due to liner replacement issues, and I didn’t go under due to worry about frost heave.

Here’s a thread showing what I did -

Reactions: Smiles79
That's what I was thinking about doing, it would also help hide the end of the deck board that won't perfectly match the pool. I like the little rise you have to go over it onto the steps. Does it ever bother you that the railing is above the deck surface?

Do you mean, does it bother me that I have to step up onto the stairs? No it does not. In fact I find that set up easier. That size is about perfect. Any smaller and the step is too small, any larger and people trip over it on the deck.

It also makes it a lot easier to put in and take out the steps. They handrails flex enough that they can just pop into the cut out slots, but they are sturdy enough to hold the steps in place.

That base is attached to the deck.

When I made that thing, I was worried that people might step on the pool rail when getting into or out of the pool. I could have run the top boards the other direction and left them longer, but that would have left the raw edge of composite decking sticking out over the pool. I could have worked something out to trim it out, but instead I just ran them as you see. I have had that setup for 2 seasons now - nobody steps on the pool rail :)

The deck and pool were like that when I bought the house, but then I rebuilt the deck, and I could have raised it up, but I like the lip that prevents things from blowing or rolling into the pool.

Do you mean, does it bother me that I have to step up onto the stairs? No it does not. In fact I find that set up easier. That size is about perfect. Any smaller and the step is too small, any larger and people trip over it on the deck.
Thanks for the reply. What I meant was, does it bother you that you can't walk all the way up to the edge of the deck, since the pool railing sits on top of it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the reply. What I meant was, does it bother you that you can't walk all the way up to the edge of the deck, since the pool railing sits on top of it?

Not at all, as I said, stops stuff from rolling in, and also allows me to attach my winter cover

Also, my deck goes around approximately a 120 degree arc of my pool. The decking runs in various directions. I like it, but it did require more footings, and some creative framing and blocking to support all of the ends near the pool

full

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.